Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Differences between 4WD and 2WD EA82 struts

So I was always under the impression that 2WD rear struts and 4WD rear struts were different lengths. But after talking to a distributor, KYB shows only one part number for EA82 rear struts, no specifications whether they are 4WD or 2WD. And they show no listing for 4WD front struts. I have found KYB front struts on ebay. Are the front ones different as well? Anyone know this info for sure? Thanks

bratman18, on 05 Dec 2012 - 16:28, said:

... 2WD rear struts and 4WD rear struts ...

The 2WD and 4WD Rear shock absorbers: both have the Same overall Measurements, but there is one Difference:

The trail arms, of the front wheel drive (2WD) Subarus, have a different mounting point for the Shock Absorbers than their four wheel drive (AWD) counterparts: the 2WD ones mounts the shock absorbers in the position where normally goes the constant velocity joint (Axle), while 4WD ones have the said mounting point, two inches higher on their trail arms, to let the axle pass.

So, Subaru made two different Rear Shock Absorbers for the EA82: the Front wheel drive (2WD) Models' Shock Absorbers, has the base plate for the coil spring, welded to their bodies, two inches (2") Higher than the four wheel drive (AWD) ones, to compensate the lower mounting point on the trail arm; and both models use Same Coil Spring.

So, using a 2WD shock absorber, on a 4WD subie, will lift the rear, due to the Higher position of the Coil spring's base.

Look here for more info, photos & ideas:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

Kind Regards.

►Edited to update the web link, due to the new USMB system

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

I see that. If I go with non Subaru rear springs, it will be the standard height King springs. I don't really want to lose the 2" of travel either. I just want to make sure that if I buy rear Subaru struts, that they are 4wd specific, and not the 2wd with the lower spring perch.

i hate to correct you, but the 2wd struts are the same as the 4wd, the piston is a little longer but the spring perch is at the same height.

i bought kyb 2wd rear struts hoping for a little extra lift but when i put it next to my 4x4 strut it was the same height.

the lift on 2wd struts comes from the springs,because the piston is longer.

2wd front struts are shorter than 4wd struts. by about 2 inches.

Ok so I still have about the same answer. I still don't know if I will get the right parts when I order. Like I said, they don't list them as separate part numbers, so maybe they have combined them into the same strut, somewhere in between heights, but I'd really hate to lose height with a replacement strut.

i hate to correct you, but the 2wd struts are the same as the 4wd, the piston is a little longer but the spring perch is at the same height.

i bought kyb 2wd rear struts hoping for a little extra lift but when i put it next to my 4x4 strut it was the same height.

From teh factory, the 2wd struts are definately longer. Not just the perch....the whole thing is longer.

This is because the mount on the trailing arm is low, right behind the wheel stub. 4wds, the mount is shifted up, above the axle.

Now what we are seeing here, is that KYB, Monroe, and others......are deciding it isn't worth producing 2 different struts for a quickly obsolete platform. So they split the difference, and make one strut now.

Problem is, when you split the difference, and then put those on a 4wd car.....you get a lowered front end, and slightly raised rear end.

... the mount on the trailing arm is low, right behind the wheel stub. 4wds, the mount is shifted up, above the axle.

Now what we are seeing here, is that KYB, Monroe, and others......are deciding it isn't worth producing 2 different struts for a quickly obsolete platform. So they split the difference, and make one strut now...

I Agree, Absolutely!

Even Subaru is selling one-size-fits-all struts Now... I Already asked to the Local Subaru Dealer Salesman by Phone, and he Told me that they are selling only one for either (2WD or 4WD) models.

Kind Regards.

Let me Explain it Better: What Subaru did is: instead of Making Two different Versions of the Same Shock Absorber, one with the Lower welded Base for the Coil Spring, and Another with it welded 2" up, Subaru reinvented the Rear EA82 Shock Absorber, using a "Regulable" Base system.

So you can Move by Hand (Prior to put in the Coil, of course) the Base, to lock it in the Lower Place (as 2WD where) the Upper Place (as 4WD where) or in the Middle (as XT's?)

The Subaru Part Number, of the Rear Shock Absorber which is one-size-fits-all, that features the "Regulable Height Base" for the Spring Coil, is:

Subaru 21007GA471 which is Made by Kayaba, Japan.

The Kayaba Part Number for it, is: KYB 341215

Kind Regards.

WorthlessWithoutPics.gif

These are Photos I have of the Rear EA82 "one-size-fits-all... Models" Adjustable Shocks:

RearSubaruShocks1.jpg

Those are Sold without their adjustable Base... You must purchase it Separately!

The Part Number for the Spring Coil's Base (seat) is: 21025GA230

SubaruRearShocks2.jpg

Yes, there are 2" inches of Difference... These photos were taken from the Above posted link, that points to my Writeup: ~► HereYou'll find more photos & part numbers there.

Kind Regards.

I found a website which has those Shock Absorbers for sale:

~► http://www.subarupartswebsite.com/OEMParts/subaru-153/2/21007GA471.html

They Also sell the Spring Coil's Base (seat) for those:

~► http://www.partswebsite.com/subarupartswebsite/oemparts/subaru-153/21025ga230-21025ga203-21025ga230.html

To add the Web Links ;)

Thanks for the responses guys! Ok, so I wonder if the ones from Subaru, really are the adjustable ones? I was not aware they still made them. I did punch that KYB part number in ebay, and they have them for sale in Great Britain, but will ship here, but they are a bit pricey, and shipping alone is $88. I will have to check out the ones from Subaru!

Thanks for the responses guys! Ok, so I wonder if the ones from Subaru, really are the adjustable ones? I was not aware they still made them. I did punch that KYB part number in ebay, and they have them for sale in Great Britain, but will ship here, but they are a bit pricey, and shipping alone is $88. I will have to check out the ones from Subaru!

I know my 86 GL10 wagon came with the adjustable shocks which I long ago wore out. I know that Loyale wagon shocks sit the rear 1 or 2 inches taller than the GL fixed shocks. I now have the Loyale shocks on my 86 and it is starting to feel a little wobbly, but it looks really sharp.

Yeah the 85 and 86 EA82 came with adjustable rear struts. I am honestly completely fine with buying new Loyale rear struts, as long as they don't sit lower than stock. But from what you just said, yours actually made them sit a bit higher, which is ok with me.

Earlier in the thread you mentioned the "standard height" king springs. I will chime in because I have those springs (front and back) and they give you about 1 inch of suspension lift. They are stiffer.

They make the loyale handle great by the way...and no more saggy rear end when carrying lots of gear or passengers.

Earlier in the thread you mentioned the "standard height" king springs. I will chime in because I have those springs (front and back) and they give you about 1 inch of suspension lift. They are stiffer.

They make the loyale handle great by the way...and no more saggy rear end when carrying lots of gear or passengers.

From what I have read, and been told, the standard height may give around 1/4" of lift until they break in. It's common to have the illusion of an inch of lift, but it's actually because you are used to the worn out/tired original springs that were on your car. But again, that's just what I have read, and been told. I plan on towing a snowmobile trailer from time to time, and don't want the rear end to sag to much, so if I have good struts, with at least rear King springs, I should be good.

The new KYB part numbers are: 341216 is the part number for the rear Loyale struts they offer. And 233023 is for the left front. And 233022 is for the right front.

But as said before, none of these are 4WD specific. Sounds like the rear will be fine, but I don't want to lose height in the front. So not sure what I will do there.

I suggest you look at Rock Auto listings. The part numbers you posted are there and more. They do list different numbers for 4wd and 2wd.

Doug

Thank you! Looks like they have a decent selection. Although the KYB part number, shows up as a Europe only number, and shipping is from GB still, but cheaper than on ebay!

... It's common to have the illusion of an inch of lift, but it's actually because you are used to the worn out/tired original springs that were on your car. ...

Yes, that's what Happens when you Switch from Worn old Coils to Brand New ones.

... so I wonder if the ones from Subaru, really are the adjustable ones? I was not aware they still made them. ...

Be Careful with the Part Numbers: Only the one I Posted on the Previous page, belongs to the Adjustable Shocks, other part numbers must belong to the Fixed Lower (2WD) or the Fixed Higher (4WD) Shocks.

The Local Subaru dealer has Three, Brand new rear adjustable shock absorbers in stock, each one has its brand new coil Plate, but they ask Lps. 1,700.ºº Each set (Our Currency, the "Lempira" is 20 X 1 US Dollar, so it means = $ 85.ºº each Set) So, they're Expensive.

Kind Regards.