Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

trunk lift strut bolt broke

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wagonryan

wagonryan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hey i'm replacing my worn out trunk liftgate supports and one of the upper welded nuts broke off so I just have a hole and nothing to screw into. has anybody used jb weld or something similar to hold the lift gate bolt in place? do you think it'll work?

#2 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hm what model/year is this? A sedan? I had this occur on my '00obw. The genuine lift gate stay has a new ball end and mounting stud including (but no nut). I'm not sure if that's why you're referring to.

#3 wagonryan

wagonryan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

its a 2000 obs. I bought new lift supports, they are being shipped. The problem is that when I took the old one off, the nut that the lift support screws into broke off so there is nothing to screw into. I'm looking for a cheap way to fix this. I was wondering if jb weld is strong enough to hold the lift support in place sorta as a makeshift nut if you get what i'm saying

#4 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

There might be access to the other side after removing the trim. Another option could be to install a rivet-nut.

#5 porcupine73

porcupine73

Obligate carnivore

• Members
  • 4,920 posts
  • Buffalo, NY

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:12 AM

Hm I think that might have happend to mine too I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Mine broke off at the stud right at the ball end. I would say we try to get actual nut that fits on there if the backside is accessible.

Jbweld might hold but what I have found is that if one of those struts break - well the tailgate, she is coming down, and pretty hard. It's dangerous actually.

Mine broke while camping so then I had to use a long stick to hold the tailgate up. The other strut was still helping but if the stick got knocked out it would crash down. I had to keep telling my young niece to stay out from underneath it. I'm pretty sure it would kill a child if the gate crashed down while they were under it.

#6 wagonryan

wagonryan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

haha yeah I have been using a broom stick for a while. The bolt hole is not accessible at the hatch unless I drill a larger hole on the other side. That might even be a better idea. I could just drill a bigger hole, get a nut on the trunk strut and bondo it back up. ding ding ding I think that's the winner.

but for real, you don't realize how heavy the hatch is until the hatch struts give out

#7 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...=item56382ddadb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users