Ultimate Subaru Message Board

its a 2000 obs. I bought new lift supports, they are being shipped. The problem is that when I took the old one off, the nut that the lift support screws into broke off so there is nothing to screw into. I'm looking for a cheap way to fix this. I was wondering if jb weld is strong enough to hold the lift support in place sorta as a makeshift nut if you get what i'm saying

Hm I think that might have happend to mine too I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Mine broke off at the stud right at the ball end. I would say we try to get actual nut that fits on there if the backside is accessible.

Jbweld might hold but what I have found is that if one of those struts break - well the tailgate, she is coming down, and pretty hard. It's dangerous actually.

Mine broke while camping so then I had to use a long stick to hold the tailgate up. The other strut was still helping but if the stick got knocked out it would crash down. I had to keep telling my young niece to stay out from underneath it. I'm pretty sure it would kill a child if the gate crashed down while they were under it.

haha yeah I have been using a broom stick for a while. The bolt hole is not accessible at the hatch unless I drill a larger hole on the other side. That might even be a better idea. I could just drill a bigger hole, get a nut on the trunk strut and bondo it back up. ding ding ding I think that's the winner.

but for real, you don't realize how heavy the hatch is until the hatch struts give out