Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2005 Struts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

So Blu2 (yes that is now his official name) has sturts so bad it may compete with that imprezza video. Normally I would a- pay someone B- pull them out myself and take them to a machine shop to have the springs swapped.

My Mechanic is still out of business. My favorite machine shop no longer exists due to Sandy.

Since I have the luxury of a 2nd car I can afford to take time to do this in my driveway. I am looking for a recomendation on spring compressors. These are not my favorite tools in the world for a driveway mechanic as far as literal work space.

SO I am looking for recomendations as I will be doing all four.

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,832 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

I've used the Harbor freight ones for years, never had a problem. I do oil the threads to keep the nut from gauling.

Larry

#3 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,729 posts
  • Texas

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

I borrowed them from Autozone.

they look like the pics I posted here; http://www.subaruout...html#post366727

#4 J A Blazer

J A Blazer

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Fairfax, Virginia

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

Perhaps the 2005-2009 generation of Outbacks are different, but on my 2000 Outback I was unable to compress the springs far enough to free up the top nut. And I was using a fairly high quality set of spring compressors from Sears. Had to take them to a mechanic with a more sophisticated device.

#5 oregoncoast

oregoncoast

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Oregon Coast

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

Yep these work just fine.

OReilly's, Autozone, free rental.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,809 posts
  • WV

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

the harbor freight simple bolt/clamp type work fine for me and i've used them a bunch of times now as well like Larry. like he just said - oil the threads.

i have air tools and can zip them right up, don't know that I'd want to turn that thing by hand, but surely not a big deal if you got time and only have to do it once.

the tool rental deals is a good call too.

be sure to mark orientation, if you don't get it exact the top and bottom mounts won't be lined up since they are independent of each other when taken apart.

based on recommendations I skipped replacing the springs and my rear drivers side spring failed in a few months so I had to do the rear all over again with new springs. may want to replace springs too, they weren't even that expensive.

if you wanted less down time, i thought about doing this - if you got the top bits used - mounts, dust boot, bushing, washer stuff (which aren't worth anything) you could build a new strut with a new spring and strut and just swap it out with your old ones. you'd have to figure out the orientation thing though or just get an entire used assembly.

Sandy relief event for nipper - Can you stand a long down time? I'll do one or both rear struts for you if you ship the parts! Someone else get the fronts for him? :banana:

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

iI lost my "I only use once every 5 years" tools in the shed, so the harbor freight may be a good option.

I will look into the spring option, thats actually a good idea. Thanks Gary.

#8 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

+1 I bought a set of those for $50 online they work great

#9 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,729 posts
  • Texas

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

+1 I bought a set of those for $50 online they work great

they worked a lot better after I bought an electric impact - shoulda got one 35 years ago!

#10 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

they worked a lot better after I bought an electric impact - shoulda got one 35 years ago!

Good idea!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users