Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Legacy EJ22: Odd problem with the heating blower (a/c)

I have a very odd problem with my heating blower: If it's "warm" weather (let's say above 10°C / 50°F), the blower works just fine. But if it's colder, the blower won't work until the engine warms up (gauge about middle). Depending on the outside temperature (or better the engine temperature), this could last from 1 or 2 minutes to about 20 minutes...

Do I need to say, that it's a bit cold inside the car then? ;) Apart from fogged windows... :) If the engine is warmed up and I restart the the car after a few minutes, the blower just works fine from the start.

So, I studied the workshop manual, but I couldn't find any thermostat which would explain that behavior. I don't know for sure, but it could be related to the upgraded air condition which I swapped from another Legacy. But since I did the swap in summer and the effect only occurs in winter, I don't know if it' really related to it. The a/c works fine though...

Anyone an idea? :) Thanks!

Most likely the motor is just going out. Pull it, sometimes there is junk in there that may be part of the problem. Just a connector and 3 screws. There is no temperature control.

Check to make sure there is voltage at the fan when the switch is on and it's cold/not working. Could be a bad switch or the resistor pack which controls the speed.

Are you checking it on High?

I had the same problem years back with my 91 Legacy. I thought the motor was going bad, so I bought one from a wrecking yard. Upon doing the swap out, I realized the blower motor was bogging down because of leaf and dirt derbies that flows down from the area around the windshield wipers. I cleaned out the crap, and the motor worked just fine.

Slide the passenger seat all the way back, remove the glove box door to gain access of the blower motor. Just a few screws gives you access. It is an ez project.

Hmm, I find it a bit odd that it depends clearly on the temperature. One example: It was fairly cold last night, about -15°C, so it took about 20 minutes of driving today before the blower first kicked in. Then I made a quick stop at the gas station, about 2 or 3 minutes and the blower works fine from the restart. After being at a shop for about 25 minutes, it took about 5 minutes until the blower starts after starting the engine... And that's always the case.

Anyway, I will have a look at the blower and check the voltages. The different levels work fine - if the blower works at all - so I can't imagine it's the resistor pack. Anyway, I will check it :)

The a/c system has temperature control, could it be somehow connected? I doubt it, but who knows? ;)

I believe all the temp controls do is move a blocking plate across a hole in the ductwork that varies the amount of air that moves across the heater core - red area means hole all the way open, blue = closed. The motor is not affected by temp controls, at least not in a 92 legacy.

Are you saying your car has a "climate control" where you pick a temperature by degree and the system controls the heat and fan automatically? I am not aware that the legacy had those until later years, but if you do, then there is a possibility that the system is malfunctioning and not allowing the computer to control these same functions that are manual in most cars.

Cold weather DOES cause metals to contract, so bearings that are shot in the motor could be just too stiff for the magnets in the motor to overcome when it is cold.

Edited by danbennett2u

I have had this happen before on a 90 legacy l, ended up taking it up to the dealer and they made it so that the fan was on all the time it's still works 50k later. May not be the same but sounds like what was happening to me

Edited by mikaleda

I have had this happen before on a 90 legacy l, ended up taking it up to the dealer and they made it so that the fan was on all the time it's still works 50k later. May not be the same but sounds like what was happening to me

Dealers around here would never do something like that. Sounds like something one of the backwoods shops would do.