Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81

AD6

it will bolt up. all ea81 have the exact same front end.

try the search function. or goole with "ultimate subaru" after it.

i recall some people saying the 1980-81 or to 82ish(wagon, sedan, hatchback, or 81-82 brat) had a smaller engine compartment which would have a slightly smaller width of body making it not line up correctly because they where designed for the ea71 or thats at least what i have heard from a few guys that have done ej swaps not sure if thats true, maybe if someone who has had a bunch of these can chime in so far i have only worked on ea71, ea81, ea81t, and ea82 and i know they all have different dimensions but i have never had a 1980-82 to see if its accurate information

Edited by turbosubarubrat

Does a Brat front light bar fit? Any mods or does it bolt up? Super new to the sub stuff.

if it was from a 82-87 Brat (GEn2) it should fit any 80-84 4WD Wagon or 80-89 4wd hatch. The GEn1 Brats (78-81) and gen1 4WD wagons (76-79) had the narrower engine compartments, but an ea81 will still fit, however it would be best to use a '81 GL Brat crossmember, which was the only GEn1 to come stock with the EA81, and had a slightly different engine crossmember to move the steering rack access a bit wider to help clear the ea81...

as far as light bars, some may fit differently due to the switch from chrome bumpers to the plastic covered front bumpers...

Guess I should have stated that mine is an 88 4wd gl. Sorry about that guys

as long as it's the Hatchback with EA81, it should work if it's a gen2 Brat light bar... (assuming you mean a front brushguard with light mounts)

I updated my above post with corrected years...

as long as it's the Hatchback with EA81, it should work if it's a gen2 Brat light bar... (assuming you mean a front brushguard with light mounts)

I updated my above post with corrected years...

Yeah that's what I mean, thank you for the help

Guess I should have stated that mine is an 88 4wd gl. Sorry about that guys

Are you sure you don't have an EA82?

The only EA81's in 1988 would be a hatchback. If you have a wagon or sedan, you definately have an EA82, which none of the Brat front end stuff would work.

Got pics?