Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 legacy transmission differences

I have a 1999 Legacy L wagon with an EJ22, with an automatic, and the transmission is going in it. The yards told me that i would have to get the trans from a 99 EJ22 only legacy, or a 99 to 01 impreza, but i have one from a 1999 legacy outback that had an EJ25 in it, so what i am wondering is, can i just swap the front diff from my car to the trans from the outback, and use that, or is there some other reason i cant use the outback trans?

The transmission is already out, because the pump went bad, so i was going to just swap the pump, but then i found out i need the gasket between the pump and the trans, which is extremely pricey, so i figured since i already have both trans out, and sitting side by side, if there were no other differences than the front diff's, i could just swap diff's between the EJ22 trans, and the EJ25 trans, but i want to make sure that is the only difference between the two of them.

before you do any more work, compare the wire connectors on the trans. the 99 outback is most likely a phase 2 trans with a spin on external filter. (a few early 99s were actually phase 1 98s.)

and i'm pretty sure the 99 ej22 auto trans was phase 2 as well, but i'm not 100% sure. but if the wire connectors match they should swap. if they do not match, then nothing you do will make it work. at least, no one that i know of, has been successful so far.

Both of them have the spin on filters, so i know they are both phase 2 transmissions, but i have heard that the gear ratios are different in the EJ22 cars, and the EJ25 cars, which is why im pretty sure all i have to swap is the front diff, but i didn't want to spend the time messing with it if there were other internal differences.

If they are both phase II you should be okay with the exception of the diff. The outbacks and Foresters had a different ratio than the other Legacy models.

Apart from the diff, I'd say you're good to go. Front diff is a little different but not a terrible swap if you already have the trans out. You can probably make a good chunk of your money back selling some of the extras/leftovers on ebay afterwards.

Actually, i dont have any money at all in either of those transmissions, because i got the car from a guy who was getting the divorce for 25 dollars, and then drove it for 8 months with the trans acting up, and the other trans i had given to me from a guy who needed a little advice swapping his EJ25 for an EJ22.

Ring and pinion swap is a lot more complicated than "take old parts out put new parts in". Much easier and faster to swap the rear diff unit to match ratio.

If transmissions are the same otherwise put the new one in, put it in FWD mode and remove the rear section of the driveshaft. Find a rear diff from an outback to swap in later.

Ring and pinion swap is a lot more complicated than "take old parts out put new parts in". Much easier and faster to swap the rear diff unit to match ratio.

If transmissions are the same otherwise put the new one in, put it in FWD mode and remove the rear section of the driveshaft. Find a rear diff from an outback to swap in later.

I suppose "put it in FWD mode," means installing a fuse in the FWD fuse holder under the hood on the fire wall.

All i was gonna do, since both transmissions are already out and on a bench, is unbolt the entire diff from the front of each trans, leave the ring and pinion in the diff housing, and bolt it back onto the other trans, but, someone i know needed an EJ25 trans, and had an EJ22 trans, so we did an even swap instead.

And i have the front diff housing off the old trans, and i dont see where swapping it is really that complicated of a job. The only other part i see that might have needed to be swapped with the front diff, is the gear and shaft that runs through the pump housing to the rear of the trans, and that i already know isnt a complicated job to switch. And i know it is a lot more work, but i would much rather swap a front than a rear diff any day. Both times i have done a rear diff, i have had issues with stupid things on them.

You must remove the tailshaft section to remove the Front pinion.

You need to measure and shim properly to correctly position the pinion fore/aft in the case. It will probably work just slapping it in, but trouble could lie 10k miles down the road.

It's not super easy.

***when removing the pinion shaft, make sure you don't let the spacer/washer that is behind the transfer gear drop into the pan....if you do....fish it out. You will need it. This is the selectable part that sets the position of the transfer gear. If you leave it out, you will have a shredded transfer hub.