Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Had a conversation w/ someone regarding Cr-V realtime 4wd vs Subaru's AWD. What make's Subaru's AWD system stand out among other competitors? Is the manual tranny just go to a center differential that splits 50/50? Does it adjust the power output to the front/rear under different conditions? Is the automatic tranny transferring 60/40 and adjusts as needed?

this person thought the cr-v's system was a bit hokey as it just kicked in when needed, was just a front wheel drive system for the mostpart. thought it was a little too late if you were already spinning. I also heard the 4wd in a honda cr-v only works in forward gear-not reverse, is that true or not?

On my 02 OBW, I know the AWD works flawlessly and is awesome, I can say that much.

RTP

Subaru MT AWD basically just had a viscous LSD as a center differential that normally splits the torque 50/50 but can vary on either side depending on conditions. The old Subaru AT AWD system used an electronically-controlled clutch pack that changes the torque from the normal 90/10 split to as much as 50/50.

AFAIK, Honda's "Real-Time" 4WD is 100/0 until the front starts slipping, qhich by then might already be too late.

The AWD in my Audi quattro is friggin' amazing. I've never felt even the slightest bit of slippage in any condition except snow where it slips quite easily due to the sport tires. If I put adequate tires on it I'm sure it would rule int he snow, too. My quattro I believe uses a torsen differential.

As far as I'm concerned if you're looking for AWD, there are two companies that do it better than everyone else: Audi and Subaru. :)

Was curious if anyone had a friend/spouse who had the CR-V. Was curious how good it handled in the snow compared to a Subaru. True, I've always wondered if it was really too late if it kicked in after you lose traction. I suspect it's only really useful starting out.