Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru TSB: How to set your I/M monitors for emissions testing

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/65245/pdf/065245-11-72-0458832.pdf

I knew I had seen this somewhere before but couldn't remember it exactly.

Was having trouble getting all of the monitors to set in my 96 so I went googling and found the above link.

Basically the I/M monitors check the working condition of all the emissions related equipment on the car. More info here at Actrons website: http://www.actron.com/faq_detail.php?pid=16152&id=20

1995 and 1996 MY Subarus are not required to set all (either 7 or 9 monitors I lost count already) monitors before testing because they all reset when the key is cycled. This was corrected in 1997 MY vehicles.

There are only two or three monitors that do not set immediately. One being for the Evap system, another for the Catalyst efficiency.

Catalyst efficiency is the one I've had trouble getting set, which is why I went searching for this. It's the last one that will confirm whether my "new" ECU is working as it should. So far so good. No EGR, evap or other codes and the Evap monitor has set which tells me the system should be working properly, at least as far as the ECU is concerned.

Just figured I would post the above links in case anyone else is remotely interested.

Thanks for posting. I have the recurring P0420 on my 05 OB.

Recently, after I erase the codes, I haven't been able to get to "Ready" before the CEL goes on again.:banghead:

I will retrain myself and try the recommended method and report back tomorrow.

screw an oil fouler in between the rear o2 sensor and it's exhaust bung. problem solved :grin: