Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lockhart Basin in a soob, new gen wheeling report from Moab

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 superu

superu

It's All We'll Drive

• Members
  • 803 posts
  • Moab

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

I just compiled this thread over the past hour+ (while my 10 month old was napping) so sorry to redirect and be short by not retyping or copy-pasting here in a unique report, and I know you all deserve that respect ;) BUT I'm just going to tack the link in here.

http://dirtyimpreza....6093#post356093

Long story short I wheeled my (well and tastefully modified) 95 legacy with two 4" lifted FJ80s and a 3" lifted FJ cruiser, tackling Lockhart Basin ( north to south) IN A DAY!!

Enjoy!!

:brow:

Edited by superu, 14 December 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#2 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,426 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

swap in a dual range transmission.Then you can still get home.If the rear is welded you can get home with one axle working...

#3 superu

superu

It's All We'll Drive

• Members
  • 803 posts
  • Moab

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

swap in a dual range transmission.Then you can still get home.If the rear is welded you can get home with one axle working...

This is a daily driver and primary kid-hauler, so daily driving characteristics over-ride ultimate wheeling capability (e.g. welded rear or daily FWD) but yup, I thought about the DR 4x4 swap for years; skipping the detailed stories and justifications why I never did it, I just love FT AWD too much ;)
I'd rather limp home once every few years and drive AWD every day than drive FWD except when really wheeling.

all that said, reallyreally locked, you're right that there is NO substitute for a locked center in wheeling, and it's true that new gen ain't got nuthin' on old gen dual ranges (except the EJ22 ;)

Edited by superu, 14 December 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#4 Subafreak

Subafreak

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 863 posts
  • Central Village Ct.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

That is some awesome wheeling. It would be so cool to go out there and try out that kinda area.

Very nice job. I think breaking something almost everytime you go out is part of wheeling.............Subarus anyway.

#5 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,418 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

That is some awesome wheeling. It would be so cool to go out there and try out that kinda area.

Very nice job. I think breaking something almost everytime you go out is part of wheeling.............Subarus anyway.

I am so ************in tired of breaking ************.There is gonna have to be some serious upgrades to axles before I go back to wheelin a Subie ....:banghead:
Like chromos.....

#6 superu

superu

It's All We'll Drive

• Members
  • 803 posts
  • Moab

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

I am so ************in tired of breaking ************.There is gonna have to be some serious upgrades to axles before I go back to wheelin a Subie ....:banghead:
Like chromos.....

Well, they ARE cars :Flame:

LOL

I thought I saw some custom U-joint half shaft on a Suby build somewhere. That seems like a way to beef up the half shaft weak link :D

#7 Subafreak

Subafreak

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 863 posts
  • Central Village Ct.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

Well even the trucks break stuff too. You find a weak link and you make it stronger, then you find the next weak link, it's part of the game.

Eventually you get to a point where you can do more wheeling than fixing but eventually something else will break. Even normally driven street cars break stuff over time.

#8 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,418 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Well even the trucks break stuff too. You find a weak link and you make it stronger, then you find the next weak link, it's part of the game.

Eventually you get to a point where you can do more wheeling than fixing but eventually something else will break. Even normally driven street cars break stuff over time.

True, but when you are doing light duty stuff and still break.It sucks.Even when I DIDN"T use skinny pedal(which is almost impossible)I was breaking stuff.
Mostly due to QUALITY of product.

Yes they ARE cars.And I have taken them pretty far considering.....
farther than most.Not as far as some.And defenitely built my own ************.

I had almost 700 bucks invested in utilizing Ujoints attached to a slip joint from a hop harvester.....
I still needed way more cash to run that one down.....

For that price I could buy Toyota chromo fronts and rears.... :)
Just sayin.Thay do have their place.It is just not in the woods with ME anymore:D:drunk:
cheers

AWESOME car Superu.I havealways liked it! :)
Unhijack :)

#9 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,425 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Well, they ARE cars :Flame:

LOL

I thought I saw some custom U-joint half shaft on a Suby build somewhere. That seems like a way to beef up the half shaft weak link :D

I met guy up on Mary's Peak last year in an 88 GL wagon. He had used 2 Samurui front driveshafts for rear axles. Welded the yolks to cut down CV cups.

Still leaves the stubs on the rear diff to break? Hmmm???maybe welded and mated to inner cups and a rear diff carrier from a 95+ model with solid, inserting stubs? (female diff)

#10 superu

superu

It's All We'll Drive

• Members
  • 803 posts
  • Moab

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

I met guy up on Mary's Peak last year in an 88 GL wagon. He had used 2 Samurui front driveshafts for rear axles. Welded the yolks to cut down CV cups.

Still leaves the stubs on the rear diff to break? Hmmm???maybe welded and mated to inner cups and a rear diff carrier from a 95+ model with solid, inserting stubs? (female diff)

Hmmm, There's stuff to be said about making the weak links tougher (other than you just break more expensive stuff ;)

And but the female diff loses the RX CLSD option :brow:

#11 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,425 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

And but the female diff loses the RX CLSD option :brow:

Yeah, but opens up the use of VLSD's from newer Outback and Forrester and WRX. I've seen the VLSD rear in action (coupled to 5spd D/R and EJ25 in a '90 Legacy) And they do work very well.

The 30 year old clutch type LSD's are mostly all worn out by now.

Besides...you can always weld whatever diff you run:brow:.

#12 superu

superu

It's All We'll Drive

• Members
  • 803 posts
  • Moab

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

bumpin' da awesome to share the new capabilities of the Legacy, Ooh and some more ooo's and aaaahh's! :brow:

http://dirtyimpreza.....093#post356093

Edited by superu, 17 January 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#13 ericstell

ericstell

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • denver colorado

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

hay there bro . we meet again . u coming to colorado in august to show us the beast

#14 superu

superu

It's All We'll Drive

• Members
  • 803 posts
  • Moab

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

hay there bro . we meet again . u coming to colorado in august to show us the beast

Sup dawg?!  ;)

It's on the calendar!  Hopefully that won't change... (crossing fingers)

i need to look up the details in your originating post again and verify dates.

What are you thinking, one or two overnights?

I need to look up the trail and figure driving time and distance(s)

#15 ericstell

ericstell

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • denver colorado

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

im thinking two camping nights for me and wife.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users