Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lockhart Basin in a soob, new gen wheeling report from Moab

superu

I just compiled this thread over the past hour+ (while my 10 month old was napping) so sorry to redirect and be short by not retyping or copy-pasting here in a unique report, and I know you all deserve that respect ;) BUT I'm just going to tack the link in here.

http://dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?p=356093#post356093

Long story short I wheeled my (well and tastefully modified) 95 legacy with two 4" lifted FJ80s and a 3" lifted FJ cruiser, tackling Lockhart Basin ( north to south) IN A DAY!!

Enjoy!!

:brow:

Edited by superu

swap in a dual range transmission.Then you can still get home.If the rear is welded you can get home with one axle working...

This is a daily driver and primary kid-hauler, so daily driving characteristics over-ride ultimate wheeling capability (e.g. welded rear or daily FWD) but yup, I thought about the DR 4x4 swap for years; skipping the detailed stories and justifications why I never did it, I just love FT AWD too much ;)

I'd rather limp home once every few years and drive AWD every day than drive FWD except when really wheeling.

all that said, reallyreally locked, you're right that there is NO substitute for a locked center in wheeling, and it's true that new gen ain't got nuthin' on old gen dual ranges (except the EJ22 ;)

Edited by superu

That is some awesome wheeling. It would be so cool to go out there and try out that kinda area.

Very nice job. I think breaking something almost everytime you go out is part of wheeling.............Subarus anyway.

I am so ************in tired of breaking ************.There is gonna have to be some serious upgrades to axles before I go back to wheelin a Subie ....:banghead:

Like chromos.....

I am so ************in tired of breaking ************.There is gonna have to be some serious upgrades to axles before I go back to wheelin a Subie ....:banghead:

Like chromos.....

Well, they ARE cars :Flame:

LOL

I thought I saw some custom U-joint half shaft on a Suby build somewhere. That seems like a way to beef up the half shaft weak link :D

Well even the trucks break stuff too. You find a weak link and you make it stronger, then you find the next weak link, it's part of the game.

Eventually you get to a point where you can do more wheeling than fixing but eventually something else will break. Even normally driven street cars break stuff over time.

Well even the trucks break stuff too. You find a weak link and you make it stronger, then you find the next weak link, it's part of the game.

Eventually you get to a point where you can do more wheeling than fixing but eventually something else will break. Even normally driven street cars break stuff over time.

True, but when you are doing light duty stuff and still break.It sucks.Even when I DIDN"T use skinny pedal(which is almost impossible)I was breaking stuff.

Mostly due to QUALITY of product.

Yes they ARE cars.And I have taken them pretty far considering.....

farther than most.Not as far as some.And defenitely built my own ************.

I had almost 700 bucks invested in utilizing Ujoints attached to a slip joint from a hop harvester.....

I still needed way more cash to run that one down.....

For that price I could buy Toyota chromo fronts and rears.... :)

Just sayin.Thay do have their place.It is just not in the woods with ME anymore:D:drunk:

cheers

AWESOME car Superu.I havealways liked it! :)

Unhijack :)

Well, they ARE cars :Flame:

LOL

I thought I saw some custom U-joint half shaft on a Suby build somewhere. That seems like a way to beef up the half shaft weak link :D

I met guy up on Mary's Peak last year in an 88 GL wagon. He had used 2 Samurui front driveshafts for rear axles. Welded the yolks to cut down CV cups.

Still leaves the stubs on the rear diff to break? Hmmm???maybe welded and mated to inner cups and a rear diff carrier from a 95+ model with solid, inserting stubs? (female diff)

I met guy up on Mary's Peak last year in an 88 GL wagon. He had used 2 Samurui front driveshafts for rear axles. Welded the yolks to cut down CV cups.

Still leaves the stubs on the rear diff to break? Hmmm???maybe welded and mated to inner cups and a rear diff carrier from a 95+ model with solid, inserting stubs? (female diff)

Hmmm, There's stuff to be said about making the weak links tougher (other than you just break more expensive stuff ;)

And but the female diff loses the RX CLSD option :brow:

And but the female diff loses the RX CLSD option :brow:

Yeah, but opens up the use of VLSD's from newer Outback and Forrester and WRX. I've seen the VLSD rear in action (coupled to 5spd D/R and EJ25 in a '90 Legacy) And they do work very well.

The 30 year old clutch type LSD's are mostly all worn out by now.

Besides...you can always weld whatever diff you run:brow:.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hay there bro . we meet again . u coming to colorado in august to show us the beast

Sup dawg?!  ;)

It's on the calendar!  Hopefully that won't change... (crossing fingers)

i need to look up the details in your originating post again and verify dates.

What are you thinking, one or two overnights?

I need to look up the trail and figure driving time and distance(s)