Ultimate Subaru Message Board

interchangeability of transmissions in EA81?

Are all like transmissions ( 4wd, 2wd, auto) interchangeable with all models that use the EA 81 engine?. Example: Will the 4 wd transmission from a ea81 brat fit into a ea 81 4wd wagon?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Klaus

I don't think this is an issue here, but just for general knowledge:

You cannot connect an '83+ Auto tranny to a manual tranny EA81, nor will it fit on a pre-'83 auto tranny EA81. The '83+ auto trannies (2wd and 4wd) require either the special engine bellhousing from the engine they came on, or grinding of the engine bellhousing you have. (learned this the hard way)

Noah,

not sure I follow you. where does the grinding need to occur, and why?

I have gone the opposite way a couple of times.... (with a MT)

84 hydro lifter ea81 motor with AT bell housing into a 86 MT Brat

84 hydro lifter ea81 motor with AT bell housing into a 82 MT 4wd Wagon

i put an ea81 in a 2wd 3spd ea82 car, and i had to grind away a lot more than yout typical 5spd setup. the motor was from a 2wd 5spd, noah's point ...

Noah,

not sure I follow you. where does the grinding need to occur, and why?

I have gone the opposite way a couple of times.... (with a MT)

84 hydro lifter ea81 motor with AT bell housing into a 86 MT Brat

84 hydro lifter ea81 motor with AT bell housing into a 82 MT 4wd Wagon

• 2 weeks later...

Hops, just sent you an email. I believe it is a 4WD automatic, but I'm not positive on that. It has a shaft coming out of both sides on front, whatever that means.

Sorry for sounding like a moron, but I only use these motors for my hovercraft projects. I'm not familiar with the transmissions at all.

DJ,

the stubs out both sides of the front are for the front wheel. if 4WD, it will have a spot for a rear driveshaft in the back. In your original post about your tranny, you said it was a 1980 ea81, and all the 1980 4WD had the 1600 ea71 motors...

McBrat, you must work for subaru or something... you're always responding to my posts with good answers to (what i consider) obscure questions! (thanks, btw)

Well then, this is for sure a 2WD trans. It is a 1980, and it does not have a shaft in back.