Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Help Again...

ok well today im drivin around and the darn thermostat bypass hose bursts, it ends up when i get it off to be the size of a quarter in thickness, put on the new one, while burning my self many many times.

so then i get ym new stereo hooked up, 800wpeak 400w RMS Kole 12" and a Boss 760w amp, man does it hit hard, ended up killing my battery while driving down the highway lol, now i have to also convert to the chevy alt so it can carry the power load.

but here are my problems now, comming home my darn dash light come on, and what i mean by this is all the ideot lights (EGR, Brake Fluid, Stop Lamp, and the other one) also the parking brake warning light came on. all these came on while driving down the road.

also the car seems to idle really ruff, and i mean the whole car mouncing back and forth. it seems to put along alot and seems as if the cat is clogged because it also doesnt have much power.

any sugestions???

Thanks,

Shean

well crap then, i guess i will have to get that extra 125amp GM Alt i got sittin in my truck and put her on. that should cure my problems.

because when i got her home she was down almost at 8 on the volt meter. that was only after about 30 minutes of driving.

i wonder how subaru_styles has his settup to be able to handle those 5 amps, plus DVD player and such. must be runnign a dual battery settup, i might just go that route.

well crap, i guess i am gonna have to deal with it until i get the cash to get going and do the GM 105amp alt conversion, and get a capastor.

but with the GM alt conversion all i have to do is make a mounting bracket, wire it up correctally, and get a longer belt and it should solve my problems, mainly i just dont have the cash for a capisitor, thats the main problem.

oh well i gotta crash have to get up in 5 hours to go to work.

Thanks guys,

Shean

mr scooby

after having done my own gm alt conversion

go wire for wire on the wiring

pretty much

small wire to small wire

big wire to big wire

and the bat wire to the suby bat wire

its what i did and 300+ miles works great

well and i welded up my own fab-tastic bracket

great welding learning experience :)

don't forget to add some extra grounds i did but then again i kinda polished my bracket and clear coated it hmm that sounds kinda bad...

i just sure everything was grounded

want pics ? email me

oh and my idiot lights on my dash did the same thing

ya i swapped the alts for another EA82 stocker i had from another engine and it fixed the problem, now i just have to fab up the GM alt bracket on my spare engine at school and then wire her up.

by the way, what is he amp rating on our stock 86 EA82 carbed 4wd alt?? because ive now been driving around with the stereo cranked and its not killin crap, its running great and pushing the watts just fine.

Thanks,

Shean

dam thats weak, ok, can someone tell me the rating on a stock GM alt, or the average or variants for the GM alts.

also if someone can send me some plans on how to put in a GM alt on a EA82 Carbed 4x4 wagon, 5sp and A/C, thats the main thing, i must keep tha A/C since i am moving to Arizona.

so if i can get them as soon as posiable because i was planning on building a rack for my rally lights on the front of my car as well as a new mount for the lisence plate. instead of using the stock bumper, kind of the pusher bar that was for the Gen I cars, but out of 1inch square steel tubing and some flat bar and have it mount in the same place as the bumper.

Thanks,

Shean