Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The fun begins(update)

Over the course of the next 10 days(or less), My humble little TurboWagon is going to recieve a few new things.

1) Pushbutton 5 speed is coming out. Will be replaced with a FT4WD S/R 5 Speed with center locking diff

2) 3.70 Open diff is coming out. To be replaced with .. you guessed it a 3.70 LSD:)

3)Original digidash replaced with Digidash that reflects the FT4WD 5 speed .. for those of you that remember, the wagon was originaly an auto.. I remedied that problem last year, but never got the right digidash to go with it.

4) RX7 TII intercooler and BPV to be installed. I have all the plumbing done for the IC, but my pipes don't have a bung for the BPV. Not sure how I will get around that yet. Temp brackets also done. Will have permanent ones fabbed up soon.

Haven't decided on a hood scoop yet... Gonna make sure everything else goes smoothly before I start cutting anyway

Will update as progress is made

Digidash done.. only took about 45 minutes.. that was easier than I thought it would be.

LSD will be done tonight or tomorrow.

Tranny will be done monday evening.

I would do it all at once, but its all getting done in the evenings so I can still drive the car during the day

trashwagon 6 has a similar set up, tet me give you some heads up

i used a 5spd full time single rance locking diff trans from an XT6. mine from the XT6 is a 3.900 final gear. did your trans come from a turbo? if so you are good to go. if it came from an xt6 you will need the THREE-NINE diff

i used the pushbutton 4wd shifter on the full time trans, i had to slot the mounting holes slightly. but everything else hooks up

here is the charm with the shifter, the 4wd button and all its workings hooks up the same with te full time tranny, so now my shifter button works as the diff lock.

all the driveshaft, clutch and flywheels from the pushbutton tranny works with the full-time

the axles will be 25 spline if the trans is from the xt6, i dont know of any 23 spline full time trannies, they are all 25 splines that i know. all 3spd turbo trannies are TWENTY-THREE splines

Over the course of the next 10 days(or less), My humble little TurboWagon is going to recieve a few new things.

1) Pushbutton 5 speed is coming out. Will be replaced with a FT4WD S/R 5 Speed with center locking diff

2) 3.70 Open diff is coming out. To be replaced with .. you guessed it a 3.70 LSD:)

Haven't decided on a hood scoop yet... Gonna make sure everything else goes smoothly before I start cutting anyway

Will update as progress is made

Yup, its a 3.70 FT trans from an 88 turbowagon. I have the shifter and center difflock switch too(actually, I have the whole car:))

I had considered using my Pushbutton 4wd shifter, using the button for the difflock, but decided against it based on the fact that I have all the stuff to do it right and I have never liked that bright orange button on top of the shifter..

Further update.. LSD is in.. one of the rear axles only had 1/2 of a roll pin on the inner joint.. only things left to do are hang the exhaust and put the starter in.. then it will be on to the IC install!!

i used the pushbutto for 2 reasons.

one, its convenient for use of the button between stretches of gravel and paved roads.

two, i forgot to get the shifter linkage from tom when i picked up my parts! the xt's shifter was different, so i kinda had no choice to do different. but since you got one out of an ea82 body, i can agree with your shifter choice. and tom liked the xt shifter handle anyway, so i told him to keep it.

good deal, i figured you woldnt have done all this without knowing if your parts matched to begin with.

easy work for a 10 day deadline! i did all my ej motor and 5 lug/full time setup within a week, including the adapter plate fab.... just to have it sit with the ecu a rats nest. but i got the rx motor in the car so i can drive it, save the ej motor for an other adapter attampt, or for use with its automatic in a hatch and modified suspensions!!!

Nope, no problems not using the plenum. The intercooler takes the place of the plenum. Since you have one, you may notice a couple of things that are somewhat helpful about it. First, the inlet pipe is rather long. I actually cut about 3 inches off of it.. I then used the piece I cut off to join the 2 elbows that run from the turbo to the IC.. one must use all parts of the animal:)

Second, the IC has 2 lines that come off the back of it. one of those is the perfect size to run to the Line for the AAV(the 1/2 inch hose that would usually run to the underside of the plenum).. there is another, smaller vacuum line on the IC, but thats just plugged off. the center piece of the hose/pipe combo I used to go from the IC to the intake is steel pipe.. I just need to drill a hole and weld in a bung for the BPV and I will be set.

After getting everything mounted and plumbed, I even found that I still had enough room to reinstall the factory heat shield for the turbo. Every little bit helps.

I think at this point I am the first one here to use the 13B IC.. now to just get that silly 13B logo off of it

Ok Caleb, i now have a rx7 motor with out any IC and piping, in my back yard, wanna help me pick it up and load it on the back of the truck to junk it, unless someone else you know might want it.... get that IC in there yet ?

P.S... My hand and my thumb that you smashed still hurt. icon14.gif

But i will get over it as always. and i also shoved that Vol^%%$# thing in the back yard and i dont want to look at it anymore. icon8.gif

But chris has new pics of the dash so i will try to get them as soon as i go over to his place and get them loaded on my camera.

Yeah yeah i know, now you need to update your mods to your car on your profile....

Also that pos of a car that you took pics of, runs like a bat out of hell now. LOL 49.99 for a fuel pump. it would work when it wanted to even with direct power to it. so i put another in and whaammm it purrs so smooth

• 2 weeks later...