Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmisssion Replacement Legacy

Ok everyone, After reading several posts here and many others on other websites and forums I think I have I have found the solution to my dilemma.

I have a 1992 Legacy Wagon and am trying to find a compatible one from a donor car in a wrecking yard. When I got to the wrecking yard I found several Legacy's there. One was a 1991 Wagon but it had 267K on it so I wasn't so keen on it so I didn't write it down but the other one was a 1991 with a vin # of JF2BC67C3MH601589. The Transmission code on the same Vehicle is TZ102ZJ1AA. The code on my vehicle is TZ102ZA2AA. According to the information below, :headbang: it would seem that both would be compatible, excluding the differential component of the equation which I will address in another Thread.

" some magic to read your transmission id."

1234567890 <-- place in TIN (transmission identification number)

tz102zj3aa <-- my AT

ty752vj1aa <-- my 5 speed MT

1: t=transmission

2: A=2wd AT, M=2wd MT, Z=Full Time 4wd AT, Y=Full Time 4wd MT

3&4: distance between gears

5: 2=series code

6: A=2wd 4at, R=2wd 5f(75 distance between gear),

V=full time 4wds/R(center diff & viscuss type)

Z=full time 4wdd/R(Multi Plate Type)

7: A=2200cc EMPI, J=2200cc TURBO

8: 1=1990, 2=1991, 3=1993, 4=1994, 5=1995, 6=1996

9&0: no meaning

This was posted on this website:

http://legacycentral.org/library/transmission/intro.htm

Edited by SUBARU3
puncuation

any auto trans 90 - 98 will bolt in , plug in and run, they are all the same.

EXCEPT for the final drive ratio in the differential.

IIRC, the final drive ratio for your 92 legacy is going to be 3.9. the 91s you listed are going to be 4.1 i think.

turbos may be different.

i use this as my guide:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=32148

in 1995 the the FD ratio for the ej22 cars with auto trans went to 4.11.

So what you are saying is that a trans from a 1997 with a ej25. as long as

the trans is a tz102xxxxx with a rear differential that matches mine would work.

By the way, I checked my rear differential and I confirmed that it is a 3.900 Thanks

Edited by mwbean

So what you are saying is that a trans from a 1997 with a ej25. as long as

the trans is a tz102xxxxx with a rear differential that matches mine.

i'm not sure what you are asking.

the auto trans from an ej25 car 96 - 98 will have a 4.44 final drive ratio. if you use this trans you will need thew matching rear diff.

your speedo will be off, maybe by 8%.

your fuel economy will be down.

but you will definitely be ''quicker'' off the line.

and finalyy, the auto trans from ej25 cars 96 - 99 will have a trans id number that matches this, TZ102Z2xxx, with a ''2'' after the second Z.

none of the ej22 auto trans will have a 2 there. they will all have a letter there.

it is best it you stick close to your year.

have you tried http://www.car-part.com for parts.

any auto trans 90 - 98 will bolt in , plug in and run, they are all the same.

EXCEPT for the final drive ratio in the differential.

IIRC, the final drive ratio for your 92 legacy is going to be 3.9. the 91s you listed are going to be 4.1 i think.

turbos may be different.

i use this as my guide:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=32148

in 1995 the the FD ratio for the ej22 cars with auto trans went to 4.11.

So now I have a question.....will any FWD only automatic , 90-96 fit in a Legacy FWD 1991 automatic?

all TZ102Zxxxx are the same electronicly. in some years there may be a slight difference in one specific gear ratio 3rd for instance.

like wise, all TA102Axxxx fwd auto trans are the same except there may be a minor difference from one year to the next. AND the final drive ratio mat be different. but of course in FWD tans there is no need to match the FD ratio, no rear diff.

i'm not sure what you are asking.

the auto trans from an ej25 car 96 - 98 will have a 4.44 final drive ratio. if you use this trans you will need thew matching rear diff.

your speedo will be off, maybe by 8%.

your fuel economy will be down.

but you will definitely be ''quicker'' off the line.

and finalyy, the auto trans from ej25 cars 96 - 99 will have a trans id number that matches this, TZ102Z2xxx, with a ''2'' after the second Z.

none of the ej22 auto trans will have a 2 there. they will all have a letter there.

it is best it you stick close to your year.

have you tried http://www.car-part.com for parts.

Yes, I have tried car-part dot com and sent several messages to yards and as of yet got no respose.

However, as I mentioned before, I went to a local yard, Pick n pull (on west coast only) and they had 1 1991 Legacy wagon but the drive train+ the rear differential was gone + it had 267K on it :-\ but the next one was a 1990 Legacy sedan with only 134K on it and it had a rear end of 3.900:banana: so I'm gonna try to remove tomorrow. if anyone has any quick down and dirty techniques on quick removal of a soob tranny I'm all ears.

thanks to all.

Edited by mwbean

• 5 weeks later...

A board guy has a 1996 FWD Legacy auto. I might pick it up from him. So will this work "plug and play" in a 1991 FWD Auto Legacy? (Wiring harness and speedo)

I'm curious if the 96 tranny is an sensor driven speedometer, or cable....like the 91 is.

Thanks!

legacy 90 - 95 are cable driven, 96 plus are wire. but it is easy to convert.

there are other issues though. rear trans mount is different. you will always have a flashing AT Temp light because there is no VSS1.

i don't really remember why you need a trans but there are a ton of them out there. get one that matches your car and be done with it.

Edited by johnceggleston

I need FWD only. Not AWD.

The reason is increasing "delayed engagement". The trans is slow to engage in "D" or "R" when warm. (It seems to engage normally when cold). Also, when taking off from a dead stop, it delays engagement again for a second, until the rpms raise and then engages. (slip). Once driving and the rpms are up all is well. Never slips and shifts fine. It leads me to believe it something to do with pressure leakdown.

No rear diff to worry about.