Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission weird sound. Help.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

So I have been trying to track down what is making this sound for awhile to no avail. It sounds like it is coming from the transmission. Almost like there is a chunk of metal getting tossed around. Sounds kinda like a bell and it increases rate as the rpms rise. It gets louder with more engine load as well. Anyone have any ideas?

#2 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,421 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Does it still make the noise if you're in neutral with your foot off the clutch, not moving? That's assuming its a manual transmission which brings me to my next point, just for information's sake for everybody else that replies, you should give us the year/make/model of the vehicle too.

#3 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

Does it still make the noise if you're in neutral with your foot off the clutch, not moving? That's assuming its a manual transmission which brings me to my next point, just for information's sake for everybody else that replies, you should give us the year/make/model of the vehicle too.

ahh good thinking lol. It is a 1987 gl 5 speed D/R. The noise is only on acceleration. I can't even really hear it at cruising speed. Although that might be due to the front wheel bearing going out.

#4 BEECHBM69

BEECHBM69

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Virginia Beach

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

ahh good thinking lol. It is a 1987 gl 5 speed D/R. The noise is only on acceleration. I can't even really hear it at cruising speed. Although that might be due to the front wheel bearing going out.

For some reason the "bell" reference sounds like a rear drive shaft (u-joint?) issue, but the "only on acceleration" part doesn't exactly fit with that.

If it's rhythmic and increases with vehicle speed, rather than engine rpm, that narrows it down considerably.

Hope you figure it out.

Dan

#5 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

Nope it only increases with RPM. It sounds like something is rattling around down there. No idea. I am hoping that something just needs to be tightened down.

#6 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,431 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Exhaust rubbing on the driveshaft?

#7 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,336 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

I will guess that you have worn trans mounts, and the trans is pitching up enough for the driveshaft to rub on the shifter linkage. With the same regards, it could be the center of the exhaust pipe tagging the driveshaft.

make sure the exhaust is mounted to the bracket at the rear of the trans.

#8 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,956 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

Loose heatshield on the exhaust, y-pipe, cat/con, resonator.....

#9 philoftheblanks

philoftheblanks

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Oak Grove, OR

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Is it possibly something in the bellhousing area, like a throwout bearing or messed up fin on your pressure plate? Hard to locate these things that only happen while moving, makes you want to ride under the hood while your buddy drives it! (not recommended)

#10 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Is it possibly something in the bellhousing area, like a throwout bearing or messed up fin on your pressure plate? Hard to locate these things that only happen while moving, makes you want to ride under the hood while your buddy drives it! (not recommended)

Yes it does sound like it is coming from the bellhousing area.

#11 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

It's very likely your T/O bearing on the clutch. They can sound like that. Try loosening the clutch cable and tightening the hill holder cable to pull the T/O away from contact with the PP. If the noise stops then you know where the problem is.

GD

#12 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

It's very likely your T/O bearing on the clutch. They can sound like that. Try loosening the clutch cable and tightening the hill holder cable to pull the T/O away from contact with the PP. If the noise stops then you know where the problem is.

GD

I would do that if I knew how...haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users