Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For a 95 Legacy you'll need a Phase 1 transaxle. You can tell the Phase 2 apart as it has a spin-on filter, where the one you want does not. Phase 1 were available up to 99 in some cars. You'll also need to make sure the final drive ratio is the same as your old one, or else you'll need a different rear diff as well.

Even still there are subtle differences between them, so ideally you'll get the same part number you already have, but you'll probably have no problems as long as you meet the above.

95 legacy should be a 4.11 final drive ratio.

There are 3 available final drive ratios for automatics - 3.9, 4.11, and 4.44, you have to match that.

Some early years, imprezas, or legacy turbo's have 3.9.

EJ25 vehicles (Outbacks, LSi's, GT's, Forester, and Impreza RS) come with 4.44 final drive.

Those will both bolt up and work just fine but you would need to swap the rear differential to work as well. If you do that - then you can use any Subaru automatic transmission.

In 1998 the bellhousing bolt pattern changes but you can still interchange, just use the 4 bolt holes that line up. They also added a spin on external ATF filter, no big deal, just change it.

Thank you. It's more complicated then I thought. From your help and what I have been able to glean from the internet, the transmissions that will have the final drive ratio of 4.11 and will work are 95-99, 2.2, auto, NA, which are in some of the models of the legacy and impreza from those years.

I see from other posts that even the transmission id doesn't have the final drive ratio.

From your help and what I have been able to glean from the internet, the transmissions that will have the final drive ratio of 4.11 and will work are 95-99, 2.2, auto, NA, which are in some of the models of the legacy and impreza from those years.

here's the tip, NO EJ25 CARS.

here's the list.

95 - 98 legacys with ej22 - NO ej25 cars.

95 - 98 imprezas with ej18 or ej22

NO ej25 cars.

it could not be simpler.

there should be tons to choose from.

on http://www.car-part.com, you will have to search each model and year separately.

there is a 4eat on the craigs that came from a 95 legacy up off brown deer road. that would be a direct fit.

The tailhousings are different with later models, at least so with a 99 vs a first gen.

we just picked off parts fro that 95 and those dudes should still have the trans.