Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new toy

5 speed = fwd right? this thing is so bad rump roast i want one but it would need to be 4wd

i think your plans should include a wrx swap...the whole drivetrain......meanest little car ever

No !!!! You go grab another 2 door or coupe or hardtop and do that. Leave the FE an FE. Thrifty , intelligent , easy to work on. All that these cars COULD be that a 4wd can't be. This one is rare getting extinct.

Probably gonna keep it fe. I've converted cars to 4wd before, not real interested with this. More show then go here. Gonna do a resto mostly. The current drivetrain is in almost perfect condition. Need some valve cover gaskets, oil pump gaskets and maybe fiddle with the carb.... Smells a bit rich. Might put an exhaust on it, it's all totally original, even has a spark arrester type tip. The car is so original I don't want to do much. All the cool old stickers are still on it.

First question, should I be adding lead? Owner manual says 90 or better octane and California versions require unleaded.....

No lead.

Is the "caution ....don't let idle race etc. " decal on the drivers door panel?

That's the telltale of a true low mileage baru of that era.

"drivesubies" Danny is the man to work with for nos parts.

I've got some too and lots of good used. "ctsuba" Charlie can help lots too.

Enjoy! You'll be able to boast Subaru's highest mpg 4 cylinder car here in the states.

• 2 weeks later...

Hood hinge is a typical problem. Everybody who hasn't gotten that yet TAKE NOTE,

Beater car was the last one I had like that and I just used Tek screws to anchor it back down.

Looks like yours could be fixed correctly since there's no real rust like many of ours will have.

• 4 weeks later...