Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick question....

I seem to have a lot of old cores sitting around. I hate to throw them out. They are rebuildable afterall. Things like alternators, starters, AC compressors. Older stuff and New gen too.

What do you all do with your? Keep just one of each and "recycle" the rest?

I'm the same, as soon as you recycle it, you will need it. But sooner or later they hit the recycle center.

I've posted them cheap $5 + shipping and they still don't move and it's not worth the time to box and ship them.

Recycle center when you can part with them.

yep, that's about how it works. they're value is simply in being able to take one in for a core or rebuild, so whatever that's worth to you.

EJ's have the 1996 remanned units new directly from Subaru for like $60 so EJ's aren't hardly worth keeping.

at the scrap yard it's $6 - $9 per hundred and it's getting recycled at least.

if you have time there are places, some of the yards, that pay higher scrap prices for starters and alternators, or a bit more for aluminum engine blocks over scrap prices. have to check around and find their lists.

could probably google it too "alternator recycling".

Some places buy cores. I've got about 30 laying around here.

Put some on Ebay cheap and didn't sell (Subaru, Saturn, VW) for cars I don't own, and unlikely to in the future. So I may go the core route - instead of just putting them in the next general scrap run.

Also in a few weeks scrap usually goes up. It seems a lot of scrappers need Cmas money so it always seems to decline about Tgiving through Cmas.

Then in Jan/Feb it's cold and folks get lazy. And usually scrap price goes up.

I've also got like 6 mostly Outback fenders 95-99, an entire front bumper assy or two, some rad assy's, etc. Haven't decided if it's worth Ebay for the fenders.

Do you hae a cheap 96 right front fender for an OB that is green?

Some places buy cores. I've got about 30 laying around here.

Put some on Ebay cheap and didn't sell (Subaru, Saturn, VW) for cars I don't own, and unlikely to in the future. So I may go the core route - instead of just putting them in the next general scrap run.

Also in a few weeks scrap usually goes up. It seems a lot of scrappers need Cmas money so it always seems to decline about Tgiving through Cmas.

Then in Jan/Feb it's cold and folks get lazy. And usually scrap price goes up.

I've also got like 6 mostly Outback fenders 95-99, an entire front bumper assy or two, some rad assy's, etc. Haven't decided if it's worth Ebay for the fenders.

Do you hae a cheap 96 right front fender for an OB that is green?

The Green ones are still on the parts car. A 97 Outback. One of them was repainted - and I forget which. The folks had hit a deer and it had new windshield, Grille(sold), headlights (still in car) and fog lights(only L remains) and painted one fender I believe. You can tell because they taped to the pinstripe IIR.

I believe I have silver and blue(1 outback, one L) sets here now. I'll look and see if I have any Green left already pulled over the next day or so. And a complete outback front bumper assy, and another one on parts car.

Shipping is killer on fenders and a pain to pack. I have sent them to members before. They "almost" fit in a VW fender box that I can get.

Then there is the discussion of what is cheap. I do send a lot of good parts to the crusher. For some reason those that don't sell parts think folks like me have unlimited space and don't value our time. Or take the gamble on buying a parts car to begin with. Do I expect what Ebay or car-part sells them for - no. Will I pull a fender for 25.00 - no. Will I piss around and package it and run it to UPS for 50.00 - no. Will I crush it - that doesn't really take any of my time - yes! Do I make excellent deals to locals for parts already off or they remove - yes.

I also have a 95 Impreza L and 95 Legacy L hood that will likely get crushed. Now that I can't work in the garage a lot of these parts I need to clean up as I'm able.

I haven't been able to "redo" a car for almost 2 years now, and the future ain't looking so good either. So I ebay stuff and I'll be getting a lot of scrap together for end of Jan - including the hoods, fenders, rad assy's, etc. Scrappers have a tendency to take everything in to get money for Cmas. Then when it's cold in Jan and Feb get lazy about taking it in and the price typically goes up.