Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cover me I'm going in! (after an oil leak)

Getting ready to pull the motor in my 07 Outback basic 5-speed and could use some help.

I did a clutch job as well as timing belt/pulleys and water pump replacement at about 90k miles. At that time I also replaced a slightly leaking rear main seal.

I am at 125k miles now and have a pretty good leak going. I am going to pull the engine soon and replace rear main seal again along with valve cover gaskets (had oil in spark plug wells at 90k).

On an 07, should I reseal the oil separator plate for good measure? Replace it?

What about oil pan and cam seals, or anything else?

Thanks!

-mtnpat

Getting ready to pull the motor in my 07 Outback basic 5-speed and could use some help.

On an 07, should I reseal the oil separator plate for good measure? Replace it?

-mtnpat

You should have done this before replacing the rear main seal. If the rear main is leaking badly, it's because it was replaced. The rear main seldom fails, but is also tricky to install to where it will hold up.

yes, do the cam and front main seals for sure.

The rear main seal was definitely leaking before a little bit, but was leaking worse AFTER I replaced it that is for sure! I know now I should have left it alone.

So any tips for installing a rear main seal correctly, given the crankshaft is smooth and un-grooved? What's the trick?

On the oil separator plate, can I just re-seal the factory plate or do I need a different one?

Thanks Again!

-mtnpat

PS: Never mind, I found this: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113361&page=4

Edited by mtnpat