Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Change radio station and door locks cycle

Ok guys and gals, here is an odd one for you. I have a 1999 Legacy L wagon, EJ22, automatic, that i put an alpine aftermarket head unit in. The other day i replaced the battery, and the door locks wouldn't work, except once in awhile, but tonight i was driving it, and everytime i changed the radio stations, the door locks would cycle, as in it would lock and unlock on me while i was driving. I thought maybe it was a coincidence, so i parked it with it running, and just kept changing radio stations, and it did it everytime. Any ideas on what to look for? I was changing the stations by pushing the buttons on the head unit itself, not by using the remote for it.

The radio must be un-intentionally transmitting on the frequency the security module in the car uses to talk to the key fob for the remote locking.

If you re-program the security system to the key fob by using the instructions on the yellow sticker by the battery, it should work normally again.

The problem is i dont have the remote for the keyless entry system. I did try disabling it by cycling the key 3 times, but since it is only a keyless entry system, and not a security system, it didnt work. And as usual, the local Subaru stealership was no help. They want me to bring it in and pay up to 2 hours diagnostic time, just to tell me what the problem is.

:confused: This really makes no sense because the radio head unit shouldn't be transmitting anything. It's just a receiver, and at that the frequencies it uses shouldn't even be the same as what the remote entry system uses.

There is a lot more going on with the new HD radio stuff now though.

I suppose the thing to do would be to find the antenna/receiver module for the alarm system and unplug it.

The head unit isnt even a newer one. Its about 4 or 5 years old. I dont know if it would make any difference, but the head unit is actually a JVC, not an Alpine, but when we first got the car, it had an Alpine that was supposedly a few months old, and it stopped working not long after we got the car, so i just stuck a cheap JVC i had from another subaru in it. I enclosed a pic of it, so you can see what it looks like. As you can see from the pic, no usb, no dvd, no navigation, just a basic am/fm cd player.

post-21971-136027661836_thumb.gif

I have found that when ever you have a wierd or strange thing happening with anything electrical in a vehicle is to check your grounds. A bad ground or one that is grounded through something else will cause all kinds of freeky problems with things that you would never suspect.

From the way you describe the trouble it sounds like the problem might be due to the radio generating a RF signal and radiating it out to the keyless entry system. The signal may be being carried by the radio antenna or the radio may have a faulty ground. To see if the radio antenna is involved you could simply disconnect it from the radio and see if that helps. To eliminate a possible bad ground you could try adding a temporary ground jumper to the radio chassis and see if that makes a difference. You also stated the locks were not working for a bit so there may be a grounding problem with them.