Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 EJ22 - the drivers side has the cam cap with the oring underneath of it. This one is insanely tight, never seen one even close to this. I can get it to turn with hammer blows but going back and forth a number of times has not gotten it to come forward at all?

Car ran and drove fine.

Might have to break it. Pry and turn at the same time usually works for me.

GD

wow, break it!! i've done a ton of these cam caps so I'm accustomed to them being tight, this one doesn't turn without stout hammer blows. it was dark and i was not able to pry so i'll get on that next time.

I'm confused about what you guys are calling a cam cap I guess.

Sounds like you mean the cam sprocket thing on the front outside of the engine?

Further back where it's aluminum to aluminum with the skinny Oring on a 95.

Or what I usually call a cam cap - what 3 of them holding the cam onto the head.

Be careful using force on the cam support. The tolerances are close because this piece contains a cam bearing. So it's tight both on the outside (against the bore in the head) and on the inside (against the camshaft). You don't want to distort it, or score the bearing surface with the edge of the journal.

make shure the cam is in unloaded position

I never thought about that, and it is very important if you think about it. I'm just hoping that, with the timing belt removed, the camshaft would turn towards the unloaded position by itself.