Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lately the IIHS introduced a small overlap frontal crash test mimicking a crash with a tree, car at only 25% of the front end of the car. Subarus 'survived' this new type of testing but it made me think.

A few years ago I have seen a similar study in Germany, here they introduced a rather big fender brace which reflects the colliding object. Unfortunately the video is in German for those who not understand the images will say enough.

Maybe a good idea to construct a somewhat bigger fender brace.

(and yeah today I drove the BRZ :banana:)

what it seems like they are doing is making a 25% overlap front-end collision be more energy deflecting than energy absorbing through crumpled metal.

notice how the firewall is angled much like the blue deflector shield, so the deflector is an additional shield put forward of the tire added to the firewall deflector behind the tire, both protecting the driver.

in either case the crumple zone does not appear to enter the cabin so the driver's left foot isn't injured. i wonder at what speed the deflector prevents cabin intrusion.

the deflector will cause a sharp twist in the car's direction, which could cause injury (spinal rotation) however its unclear to my non-German speaking brain whether the unmodified cars have less or more twisting forces on the occupants.

• 2 weeks later...