Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2nd transfercase rigs

Scott in Bellingham

• 2 weeks later...

Ive done burn outs on dry pavement with my EJ22 powered Hatch.I'm running 4.11 gears,31" tires,the rear diff is welded solid.Power from the engine goes through a DR 5 speed to a nissan transfercase. Haven't blown it yet knock on wood.My nissan case does howl a bit because it leaks so it might be a little low at times..

So they are not that weak,and for roughly $70 I can replace the transmission should it fail.

I can take pics of the front end if you would like, though its fairly simple.I am running EA82 suspension attached to the EA81 crossmember. My front diff mounts on the crossmember in the center.I have an 8" lift and space is TIGHT around the diff but it all fits.The bottom of the DR 5 speed is roughly 2 3/8" above the diff which is exactly where I run my Y pipe.

Ive done burn outs on dry pavement with my EJ22 powered Hatch.I'm running 4.11 gears,31" tires,the rear diff is welded solid.Power from the engine goes through a DR 5 speed to a nissan transfercase. Haven't blown it yet knock on wood.My nissan case does howl a bit because it leaks so it might be a little low at times..

So they are not that weak,and for roughly $70 I can replace the transmission should it fail.

I can take pics of the front end if you would like, though its fairly simple.I am running EA82 suspension attached to the EA81 crossmember. My front diff mounts on the crossmember in the center.I have an 8" lift and space is TIGHT around the diff but it all fits.The bottom of the DR 5 speed is roughly 2 3/8" above the diff which is exactly where I run my Y pipe.

got a pic of the transfercase mounted?

Uberoo,

What did you do for an intermediate shaft between the d/r 5mt trans & the Nissan 720 t-case?

For the 720 t-case I have all 3 shafts(inter, ft & rr) from an '84 720 PU plus the t-case. Plus more.:grin:

The intermediate shaft from the Nissan case should slide right on your transmission CZNY.IIRC....

cheers

Good deal! Thanks to both of you!

Like Scott in Bellingham, the OP, still waiting to see some installed pics of 2nd t-cases & diffs. Please.

Here's some of the Nissan t-case & mount brackets(center 2 brkts in 3rd pic):

011-2_zps49c5b282.jpg014-3_zpse7a934d8.jpg020-4_zpscf4cfdd4.jpg015-2_zpsfd1af1e5.jpg

Sure wish there were aftermarket stuff for these old divorced t-cases like the Suzies.

Edited by czny

That's not a realistic price for everyone in all markets.

Dual ranges around here run about $150-350

And they are not always in the local yards.

I'd say buy up your D/Rs now, cause there aren't gonna be many more available after about 3-5 more years. They are getting crushed at fast pace.

Ive done burn outs on dry pavement with my EJ22 powered Hatch. Haven't blown it yet knock on wood.

I had to drive 3 hours to Connecticut get my last d/r trans, and having lunched a few sets of rear transfer gears I can tell you they are weak. One of them went in RWD and I had to get towed home, one went in 4x4 in the middle of the woods in winter and it was a massive PITA getting out in FWD. I had to back down a mile of trail at speed while trying to stay in my ruts. EJ22, 3.9's and 29" tires. I can get pictures of the shredded gears if you want.

I had to drive 3 hours to Connecticut get my last d/r trans, and having lunched a few sets of rear transfer gears I can tell you they are weak. One of them went in RWD and I had to get towed home, one went in 4x4 in the middle of the woods in winter and it was a massive PITA getting out in FWD. I had to back down a mile of trail at speed while trying to stay in my ruts. EJ22, 3.9's and 29" tires. I can get pictures of the shredded gears if you want.

sorry to here all the trouble, Ive had good luck with the D/Rs Ive had, only had reverse go out in 1 and that was my fault

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will take some pics in the morning before I leave for spocompton. got to get all sorts of neat stuff at pull and save, rear disk brake assembly for 88-91 isuzu trooper,legacy ABS Master cylinder,EA81 rear control arms,shift knob for L series datsun transmission,door hinges/latches for datsun 620,couple of subaru/datsun window cranks..

so mcbrat, any other pictars of that incident?

Edited by Uberoo

I will take some pics in the morning before I leave for spocompton. got to get all sorts of neat stuff at pull and save, rear disk brake assembly for 88-91 isuzu trooper,legacy ABS Master cylinder,EA81 rear control arms,shift knob for L series datsun transmission,door hinges/latches for datsun 620,couple of subaru/datsun window cranks..

so mcbrat, any other pictars of that incident?

in my Build thread... or the offroad forum, search for Castana.

so Scott, any word on the direction you're taking?

• 2 months later...