Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new tires = new milage

I am looking at getting some 215/75/15 tires.

they are going on my wagon that has a two inch lift and a 1.8 SPFI engine with a 5sp dual range tranny.

Can anybody tell me what kind of gas milage im going to be getting? Im driving all the way from washington to colorado.

So any help would be much appreciated.

thanks, subi dude

If I remeber correctly on your other post you already had the 15 inch rims on it. if so a little larger tire wont really make much difference.

if your coming from stock 13's you may notice a few mpg loss, but not much I would think. I am running 195/75 14's and I was still getting 28mpg + highway with motor and carb problems.

Wheel size has nothing to do with overall tire size. A 195/75r14 is 25.5" tall and a 215/75r15 is almost 28" tall, so theres a bit of difference between the two.

Several guys in the off road forum have run 27's on an ea82 and I think 20-25 is about as good as your gonna get. It will do 70mph, but it will be a lot happier cruizing at 60-65.. Thought about waiting till after the road trip?

Good news is that you'll be ready to hit the trails sitting on 28's!:D

Josh

its the extra weight that I was talking about, since he already has the bigger and heavier rims I doubted the tires would make a huge difference. the new tires are only a half inch in diameter more than his other ones, though they are a bit wider. didnt think there should be much of a change.

going from stock to 215's he probably would see some change, but from 205's to 215 i doubt it will make a dent.

'87 Brat, EA81 with SPFI conversion on 215/75/15s, driving from Denver to CO Springs and back: calculating for the difference in the odometer, I got around 31mpg on that trip. And that is maintaining around 70+mph on the highway.

But as stated above, with that small tire size difference, I wouldn't expect to actually see a difference in fuel economy.