Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 79 Brat build

Kevint143

Got the carb all put back together. That was fun and not as difficult as I thought it would be. Tomorrow I will be re-installing onto the car and Hopefully everything works right =)

you will have to fine tune it once you get it running, because most of the time it will be not be adjusted perfect so it will probably run rough.

8395695989_46083df5f9_n.jpg

Untitled by Kevin Talley, on Flickr

So yesterday I got the Carb back on and did a little tweaking. Took her out for a drive and she ran fine except would stall on me when I went to N and came to a stop. So I pulled her over and figured I wasn't getting enough fuel or something so I messed with the idle and mixture and got her to where she sounded healthy and was running about 650 rpms at idle. Now not knowing what I am doing at all I feel that after that she ran pretty good. I am able to tell a difference in how much smoother she runs. I am sure I will be tweaking things here and there. Any tips on how to properly tune the carb?

The idle should be around 850 rpm, 650 rpm is a little low.

This is off the top of my head but basically you set the idle and then use the mixture screw to 'lean out' the carb until the engine starts to run a little rough. Then adjust the mixture screw until you get it running smooth. Don't turn the mixture screw too much only one or two turns should be needed (provided the carb is OK!).

It is kind of a balancing act but after you have the adjusted the mixture screw a few times you can usually find the 'sweet spot'. Now check the idle is still at 850 rpm (Although there could be a different rpm figure for the US).

Good job on the carb!! I grew up on old one barreled jobs that were about as complacated as a weber.I tryed a few times to rebuild a hitichie sp? and never got it right.Threw it out and put on a good used one. So my hats off to ya..Do you have a vacuume guage? there great for dialing in your engine.i have one mounted on my dash.Driving with the most vacuume gives you the best MPG...A provin fact...(I think) Anyway don't push it too far and have fun with it..Todd

Yea I do have a vacuum gauge that I am planning on installing soon. I didn't do it when I did the carb because I wanted to do one thing at a time so if I had problems I wouldn't be trouble shooting more than one thing. I plan on putting the vacuum gauge in on my next day off.

But on the bright side I drove her in to work today and it was 25 degrees and I didn't get the usual rough start and idle as I was before I did the carb. Also, it was the first hwy test and didn't seem to have any problems at all so as for now it has been a success.

Finally Got the Vacuum Gauge installed this morning. And by everything I can tell everything is running and working smoothly. Its staying steady at 20 when idling and when I accelerate it drops to about 10 and when I release the accelerator it goes to about 22 then back to 20. Pretty neat to see whats happening.

8417454365_c965226c3b.jpg

Vacuum gauge works by Kevin Talley, on Flickr

I am also suspect that my oil pan gasket is blown out because I can see a tear and oil is leaking from it. So I picked up a new one, a K&N oil Filter and a new Pressure sensor switch. I am hoping it will be dry enough tomorrow to get all of that done and out of the way.

8417453783_af28ba8680.jpg

Some new things for the brat by Kevin Talley, on Flickr

sorry for the late response yes it is I picked it up from Autozone Part Number: PS123

After jacking the car up and looking at the oilpan I discovered the back bolts are blocked by the front crossmember. So this project has been put on hold until I can figure this out...WHy are easy tasks becoming more difficult?

So I went and picked these up from Pooparu Sunday and went for a nice drive with my daughter.

8422562174_76c1da8fb6.jpg

Stripes by Kevin Talley, on Flickr

:headbang:

But then when I leave work monday I start having problems again. I go to leave the parking lot and as soon as I let off the accelerator it dies on me. I get it started again by going WOT when I start it and limp it off the road into another parking lot. After that I am messing with it to see whats wrong and I can't figure it out the only way I was able to get it to stay turned on was by cranking the idle up to 2000rpm and on top of that according to my vacuum gauge and tach and just listening to it it was all over the place. The Vacuum gauge was reading anywhere from 10-20 my tach was reading anywhere from 1000-2500 and well I am sure you can imagine what it sounded like. well After a little bit of tweaking I got it as steady as I could while I was on the side of the road in the rain and dark and limped it home. It started to do the Knocking noise in 4th around 2000rpm again that I previously thought was a vacuum leak but everything I can think of is sealed off and sealed off well with caps and hose clamps for added peace of mind. So with that said I drove it home in 3rd and parked it.

Sorry if none of this makes sense its the best I can describe what happened.

I was told to check my fuel filters, look closer for a vacuum leak, Maybe a jet came loose or got clogged from my rebuild or maybe timing issue. Any thoughts or ideas before I go tearing things apart?

Edited by 79bratpdx

• 2 weeks later...

So my weber showed up today! Got it hooked up for the most part but need to do some adjusting. Which hopefully I can get it dialed in on friday before the old gen meet on saturday. Right now my problem is the car stays running when I turn the car off. But on the bright side it fired right up and sounded so much healthier than it did before. 

8472881140_3ed89593e3.jpg
Weber by Kevin Talley, on Flickr

8472864716_4580ce0c6f.jpg
Weber by Kevin Talley, on Flickr

Anyone interested in helping me out on friday?!?! I am located in SW portland off Barbur and Multnomah blvd!

• Like 1