Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 79 Brat build

Kevint143

I can't catch a break here. 

I go to start the BRAT and while its warming up it just suddenly cuts off...no warning or anything from the engine just dead. I go to start it back up and it fires but immediately dies unless I hold the accelerator down. I know I have gas because I put 8 gallons in it yesterday evening. Not really sure what is going on or where to start looking. Any suggestions with my vague description? Thanks in advanced.

I can't catch a break here. 

I go to start the BRAT and while its warming up it just suddenly cuts off...no warning or anything from the engine just dead. I go to start it back up and it fires but immediately dies unless I hold the accelerator down. I know I have gas because I put 8 gallons in it yesterday evening. Not really sure what is going on or where to start looking. Any suggestions with my vague description? Thanks in advanced.

I'd inspect your choke...  Did you try to hold it to the floor to set the choke before cranking?

• 2 weeks later...

I actually got it solved the lead I spliced in to the old wire wasn't getting power so I re did it and now it's solid! I also got k&n crank case breathers installed, put new spark plug wires and got it all painted black(not a final paint job) yesterday was a good day.

Very cool!  Such a TINY engine and trans, look at all that room!  No wonder FHI said, "pft, we can put the spare in there too!

If my leone was in great shape, I'd not bother but with it in it's current state, I'm so putting an EJ20/EJ22T and a 6speed in it! *I know it'll require some fabrication, but it'll definitely fill out the engine bay.

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend was a busy one for me. I took the BRAT out for the longest trip to date on saturday which was roughly 60 miles North into WA to get some work done at a buddies shop. We tackled some electrical issues and pulled the oil pan to finally change the gasket. I also changed the oil pressure switch so no more Oil light on while driving! 

I was having some overheating issues these past few weeks and found it to be that my radiator fan was not working. So we wired it up to the ignition and now it's always on. We did it this way because since I am moving back to the central valley in CA where it is not uncommon for it to be 100+ during the summer I didn't really want to take any chances on when it would come on. I also thought about wiring it to a toggle switch but decided its easier to not have to remember to turn it on. We also cleaned up some other wires that were half assed hacked together with stereo wire. 

After we got that all sorted out we pulled the engine up enough to get the oil pan out and I cleaned that up and got installed a new gasket because it was dripping quite a bit. I also put in a new oil pressure switch and happy day the OIL light turned off. With doing this I obviously did an oil change and threw on a K&N oil filter and filled it up. 

Now that all of this is done the BRAT seems to be pretty happy. On the way home I was having no problem keeping the speed around 70-75 on the freeway which is remarkable considering when I first got the car it was a challenge to get it up to 60. 

Then sunday I decided to drive down to salem and back to meet a friend for lunch. So all in all I did a little over 200 miles in the weekend with no issues other than wanting to go further.

8574193074_c98fe21e3b.jpg

8574192650_7eaae5e906.jpg

8573099663_a234ccbe38.jpg

wish I got a before. It was so disgusting.

8573101089_d0336c06de.jpg

The best view is from the drivers seat of an old soob

Nice progress! I need to find a weber, how was it swapping? Any suggestion on where to buy?

I just did the oil pressure switch on mine as well, but have a lot of work to go before its roadworthy.

I have a manual fan switch, amongst other jerry-rigged things that need to be sorted out and fixed.

• Like 1

Great thread!  :popcorn:

BTW, if you ever decide you don't want the fan to run all the time, but want it to come on a bit earlier, check out the part in JesZek's guide where it talks about a "Cooler Temp Thermoswitch"

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/125754-easy-guide-on-five-steps-to-twin-electric-fans-swap/

The one he researched fits into an ea82 radiator for sure. I don't know about a Gen1, but it's on my list of stuff to try someday. In a different thread, I found "hayden 3647 fan controller costs $20-25 USD at O'rielly's and can be set anywhere between 160-210 degrees F":

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/123869-cooler-temp-thermoswitch/

Keep the pics coming. The one of your kid in the back is awesome!

Edited by bendecker
  • Like 1

Nice progress! I need to find a weber, how was it swapping? Any suggestion on where to buy?

I just did the oil pressure switch on mine as well, but have a lot of work to go before its roadworthy.

I have a manual fan switch, amongst other jerry-rigged things that need to be sorted out and fixed.

Contact ShawnW for your weber needs. It seems like Jerry rigging is standard in these cars.

Great thread!  :popcorn:

BTW, if you ever decide you don't want the fan to run all the time, but want it to come on a bit earlier, check out the part in JesZek's guide where it talks about a "Cooler Temp Thermoswitch"

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/125754-easy-guide-on-five-steps-to-twin-electric-fans-swap/

The one he researched fits into an ea82 radiator for sure. I don't know about a Gen1, but it's on my list of stuff to try someday. In a different thread, I found "hayden 3647 fan controller costs $20-25 USD at O'rielly's and can be set anywhere between 160-210 degrees F":

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/123869-cooler-temp-thermoswitch/

Keep the pics coming. The one of your kid in the back is awesome!

Thanks the main reason we went with the fan running all the time is since where I'm moving its easily 100+ multiple days in summer having it on constantly seemed like a better idea than trusting the temp switch. We did however wire it so if I choose to trust the temp switch all I have to do is disconnect two wires and connect them to the two coming out of the fan. But I will be taking a look at that thread. And my kid loves those back seats!

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I went out with a buddy to mess around in the foot hills by my place and we learned a few things about my rig. there doesn't seem to be a hill I can't get up....well as long as the transition is doable for the BRAT.

8652910298_24f2f9450b.jpg