Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1997 subuaru legacy outback cross member removal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mkontax

mkontax

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • hickory nc

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

i have a leaking gas tank and need to get to it . How hard is this cross member to remove and can it be done without a lift. Is it heavy? Should one person attempt this with just jack stands? I am willing to bet this tank is leaking at the seam from all the posts i have read and needs to be replaced.

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,299 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

you might find it to be the fuel filler neck. worth a look before getting that involved.

#3 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

you might find it to be the fuel filler neck. worth a look before getting that involved.

Absolutely check this first. They have a tendency to rust out at the bottom. The black plastic shield on it holds roks, sand, and moisture. Check with a full tank or immediately after putting fuel in the car.

#4 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,926 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

i did a tank two weeks ago was a ordeal had to lower the xmember and the front suspention supports but left it all hanging on the cvs and struts and was able to slip the tank out forwards oh and had to pull rear half of driveshaft the xmember dosent have to come out just be lowerd. And check filler spout first and meatal feul lines on top of tank they like to pinhole and leak down the tank

#5 mkontax

mkontax

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • hickory nc

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

ok...i am going to do this...i will examine filler spout first and then go from there....not my luck usually with this car to have it that easy but i am hoping. I appreciate the feedback

#6 mkontax

mkontax

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • hickory nc

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

ok found the leak...its on top of the tank....a rust out area directly under rear seat....it is directly below an access hole that had a rubber plug in it...so i plan to repair it with fiberglass and resin and not remove the tank at this point...
my question is wheter i can drop the tank 1 inch to give myself a little room to work on the repair:eek::eek:

#7 mkontax

mkontax

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • hickory nc

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Went out to harbor freight and purchased high torque impact. I have decided not to attempt to loosen cross member for several days until the threads of bolts are totally soaked with penetrating oil. In the mean time i have carefully peeled back the rusted area of the seat support sheet metal giving me more area to apply epoxy putty to the holes . I pushed the putty in and am waiting it to dry thoroughly. If this works, I will delay further removal of cross member but just attempt to prepare the bolts for future removal because tank replacement is inevitable at some point. I think I need a psychiatrist to help free me from my obsession with this vehicle....lol. If it wasn't for the incredible ability of this vehicle to plow through 4 foot snow drifts in upstate new york back in the 80's, it would have long been sent to its grave. It is an amazing vehicle from this regard and am afraid that a new one would not be its' equal. New outback owners who were former 90'S subaru owners....please help dispell my paranoia!!!!! By the way, I now live in coastal north carolina....i have not attempted to use it in flood waters yet but i am sure that day will come.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users