Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 subuaru legacy outback cross member removal

i have a leaking gas tank and need to get to it . How hard is this cross member to remove and can it be done without a lift. Is it heavy? Should one person attempt this with just jack stands? I am willing to bet this tank is leaking at the seam from all the posts i have read and needs to be replaced.

you might find it to be the fuel filler neck. worth a look before getting that involved.

Absolutely check this first. They have a tendency to rust out at the bottom. The black plastic shield on it holds roks, sand, and moisture. Check with a full tank or immediately after putting fuel in the car.

i did a tank two weeks ago was a ordeal had to lower the xmember and the front suspention supports but left it all hanging on the cvs and struts and was able to slip the tank out forwards oh and had to pull rear half of driveshaft the xmember dosent have to come out just be lowerd. And check filler spout first and meatal feul lines on top of tank they like to pinhole and leak down the tank

ok found the leak...its on top of the tank....a rust out area directly under rear seat....it is directly below an access hole that had a rubber plug in it...so i plan to repair it with fiberglass and resin and not remove the tank at this point...

my question is wheter i can drop the tank 1 inch to give myself a little room to work on the repair:eek::eek:

Went out to harbor freight and purchased high torque impact. I have decided not to attempt to loosen cross member for several days until the threads of bolts are totally soaked with penetrating oil. In the mean time i have carefully peeled back the rusted area of the seat support sheet metal giving me more area to apply epoxy putty to the holes . I pushed the putty in and am waiting it to dry thoroughly. If this works, I will delay further removal of cross member but just attempt to prepare the bolts for future removal because tank replacement is inevitable at some point. I think I need a psychiatrist to help free me from my obsession with this vehicle....lol. If it wasn't for the incredible ability of this vehicle to plow through 4 foot snow drifts in upstate new york back in the 80's, it would have long been sent to its grave. It is an amazing vehicle from this regard and am afraid that a new one would not be its' equal. New outback owners who were former 90'S subaru owners....please help dispell my paranoia!!!!! By the way, I now live in coastal north carolina....i have not attempted to use it in flood waters yet but i am sure that day will come.