Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid question, is ej22 an interfierance ?

Thanks everyone. Good to know... It was just one if those black and white questions that I wasn't finding a clear answer.

I'm sitting at 195k and i havent a clue when it was last done.. i bought it with 160k ish iirc and I do a lot of on/off start/stop driving.

-justin

get the timing kits off ebay with all new idlers and tensioner pulley. those are as prone to failing as the belt actually. they are all devoid of grease by now. the kits are so cheap they're great, you're good for another 60,000 miles.

the timing belt job is easy actually. if you don't have rusty timing cover bolts a timing belt job only can be done in 30 minutes....i mean, it won't your first time, but it's easy.

take a bunch more time if you start getting into resealing the oil pump (another 15 - 30 minutes), cam seals, etc - which are good idea if you're already in there. but if you got no leaks, a $80 timing kit and hour or so for another reliable 60,000 miles is great.

that motor will likely last as long as you care to maintain it if you don't overheat or run it low on oil. those things are solid.

Think also if your EJ22 is a swapped engine. Many EJ25s developed head gaskets leaks and were replaced with the much more reliable EJ22s. I thought my 98 OBW had an interference engine but in reality it has an older non-interference EJ22 in the bay.

--Damien

Think also if your EJ22 is a swapped engine. Many EJ25s developed head gaskets leaks and were replaced with the much more reliable EJ22s. I thought my 98 OBW had an interference engine but in reality it has an older non-interference EJ22 in the bay.

--Damien

Sorry, but the '95 Impreza came with an EJ22. The EJ25 didn't appear for the Impreza until after 2000 (I think it was 2002). And your 98 OBW was an interference EJ22 if it was an Impreza OBW. You can check the VIN plate in the engine compartment to see what engine was installed during manufacture.

--Damien

Like Ed said. Ej25s weren't around in 95. They were still on the drawing board. Didn't hit the scene til 96 and they were only in the Legacy.

98 Impreza Outback Sport wagon would have an interference SOHC EJ22.

Legacy Outback wagon would be the major interference DOHC EJ25D.

Like Ed said. Ej25s weren't around in 95. They were still on the drawing board. Didn't hit the scene til 96 and they were only in the Legacy.

98 Impreza Outback Sport wagon would have an interference SOHC EJ22.

Legacy Outback wagon would be the major interference DOHC EJ25D.

Well actually there is such a thing as a 95 OBW auto with a 2.5L engine. But I read that very few were actually made. Apparently it was some sort of test (or pilot) model...

--Damien

Sorry, but the '95 Impreza came with an EJ22. The EJ25 didn't appear for the Impreza until after 2000 (I think it was 2002). And your 98 OBW was an interference EJ22 if it was an Impreza OBW. You can check the VIN plate in the engine compartment to see what engine was installed during manufacture.

My mechanic didn't think that there was such a thing as an interference EJ22.