Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More work to my front bumper

Speedwagon

One of these days, I might actually finish and paint the thing...

Since I have some time on the my hands right now, I opted to add a hi-lift mount and CB antenna to my front bumper. I used a 2x4 tubing that I cut in half, and welded to the bumper for the hi-lift mount.

IMAG0809.jpg

My welds aren't very pretty yet, but they do hold:

IMAG0810.jpg

And then I added the CB antenna. Figured the front bumper was a good place for it:

IMAG0811.jpg

I'm thinking I might go back and weld plates to the tops of the mounts, and then use that as a mounting point for my Hella lights.

Edited by Speedwagon

not to criticise you on this or anything, but i always just keep mine in the trunk. the accidents that happen with hi-lifts almost always result from the mechanism getting stuck, or user ignorance.

keeping it oiled and clean can avoid problems, maybe find a cover to put over yours?

looks like quite a bit of spatter on your welds. if your using CO2, try 75/25 on your next fill up (very small difference in cost). you wont go back. if you are using 75/25, shorten your stickout.

im assuming your using hardwire

It's not my welder(it belongs to the shop that I'm a member of). I was using gas, but I don't know how they fill it. Possibly too much wire(it's a 240V snapon MIG).

not to criticise you on this or anything, but i always just keep mine in the trunk. the accidents that happen with hi-lifts almost always result from the mechanism getting stuck, or user ignorance.

keeping it oiled and clean can avoid problems, maybe find a cover to put over yours?

Just keep it lubed :grin:.No really.I have a 20+ yr old Hi lift, 2 of them actually.Been in the elements their whole life.Saltwater,?General around water interaction in work boxes on the back of the trucks.Etc...

HArd Life.

Just use LUBE:headbang::-p

cheers