Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

2000 outback snap ring

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mlpdickerson

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Dickerson

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

When we took apart/removed the front wheel hub/knuckle/bearing to take it to the shop to get the old bearing pressed out and the new one pressed in, it doesnt look like there was a snap ring in it. I looked at an online diagram and it shows there should be one. The new stuff doesn't seem to have one in the box either. Does this seem normal? My son had a hasty repair done on this same piece two years ago in canada. Do you think its possible it was a shoddy repair job and they just didnt put it in? When i was buying the new parts, they didnt mention i might need one, not that its incumbent on them to do so but....

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 5,780 posts
  • Texas

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

someone will probably know but, could you inspect the other side easily?

#3 johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,651 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

since the bearing is pressed in, there is no need for a snap ring.

could it be a seal you see in the diagram?

#4 Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

For what it is worth.........years back, I and a buddy, pressed out a front wheel bearing, and pressed in a new one. We couldn't get the snap ring back on, so we went without it. I drove the car for another 10 years with no issues. So, don't think a snap ring is a necessity.

#5 mlpdickerson

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Dickerson

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

yes i suppose that could be

#6 grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,916 posts
  • WV

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

i've never seen a snap ring on a Subaru wheel bearing so i don't even know what you're talking about. must be an artifact of some other time period or manufacturer, Subaru doesn't use them on wheel bearings.

#7 mlpdickerson

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Dickerson

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

good to know...thanks

#8 89Ru

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Nashville TN

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

on my '95 wagon the snap ring is visible in the knuckle only when the hub is pressed out, it sits behind the outer wb seal against the outer wb race.
to press the wb out of the knuckle the snap ring has to come out first.
since it takes tons of force to remove the bearing, perhaps the snap ring is an extra measure of safety but i wouldn't leave it out. if the new wb isn't pressed in far enough, the snap ring slot may be partially covered up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users