Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is it art, or a gauge pod ..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,596 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

I always have a Volt Oil Press and Tranny Temp gauge on my roos, Blu2 no exception (Justy has Oil Press, Oil Temp and Volt). However Blu2 has been a pod challenge. I did not like anything available commercially due to the quality or the cost. With the side airbag A pillar was out. I have seen some dual gauge setups, but i like the nook with the door on the dash, and the ashtray can only hold two gauges not three.

I used to do fabrication for a living, so I did what I do best. I took a 2" inch gauge and went to Home Depot and Lowes, and Had other online stores (mcMaster Carr and Graingers on my list).

Then i saw it, PCV pipe.

Posted Image

Easy to work with, forgiving and cheap. a 2" gauge fits snuggly into the 2" pipe.

I cut three 2" long pipes (my cuts were sloppy using a miter box). I used a dremel on a very low speed to clean the sloppy cuts. A dremel at the lowest speed stalls in the plastic which makes for great control.

Posted Image

I then glued them together using PVC glue. It was a decent bond, but I wanted to reinforce it. So i cut another peice 1" wide and cut that in half.

IMG]http://i183.photobuc...wg/IMAG0294.jpg[/IMG]

I glued the "feet" on and it made a stable platform.

I trimmed 4/10ths of an inch of them after it all dried

Posted Image

I stuck the longer tube in the center since my tools at hand did not allow me to clean up the slight diference.

here is the semi finished product

Posted Image

And back

Posted Image

All i have to do next is to modify the feet to match the curve of the dash so they sit at the right angle. After that I will paint it. I researched it on the web and PCV is paintable. I will probably attach them to the dash the same way I did in the Justy, with automotive grade velcro. This will allow me to get to my inspection stickers, clean the winsheild, and remove the gauges at will.

In all honesty that is all I could come up with right now, maybe i will do something else, not sure yet.

Not bad for 8 bucks in material. Also since the 2005 Dash does a lot with circles, it will match the rest of the dash.

Edited by nipper, 01 January 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#2 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Very nice...

You, my friend, have just helped me in ways you were completely unaware of......

Thank you,

Spencer

#3 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,411 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Thats what I'm talking about!!!
Thinking outside the circle!
:-p
very nice.Only If more people thought about how they could simplify design and utilize everyday products.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,596 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

That's what i loved about my job. Now if i could add a blinking light it would be perfect ( yes sometimes designers just add blinking lights to amuse ourselves and bedazzle the end user).

#5 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,128 posts
  • WA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Its called "Re-purposing", I've been doing it for years and have lots of parts on my RX that are from different products (computer case for cold air box).
Thankfully we have the big box stores to go to now to find some of this stuff.

#6 pressingonward

pressingonward

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Battle Ground

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

That looks way better than most gauge pods I have seen. Nice job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users