Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Been a while since i've been on here....

and i have a question i though some of you may be able to help me with. i wasn't sure where to put this question, so i thought i'd just put it here... i am looking at a neighbor's 1997 Impreza Outback Sport wagon. it has 178K miles. he isn't sure if the timing belt has ever been replaced. it needs a hood, passenger side door, a couple of tires, brakes (not sure if it needs rotors, drums, both or just pads/shoes), and the rear drive shaft is MIA. he said the rear diff has been rebuilt, but he never put a rear drive shaft in it for some reason. i could totally see the guy just being lazy and not bothering. it also has a little bit of rust bubbling up on the left rear fender lip. anyway, he said his bottom dollar was $1000. i was thinking more in the $500 range. what do you all think?

Sounds like the rear diff was probably rebuilt thinking that would cure the torque bind the tranny has, and when it didn't fix it the driveshaft was removed again. I've pulled the driveshaft to trade off a gen1 legacy with torque bind before without it being noticed. I wouldn't give more than 500 for it definately. Because even if I'm wrong in assuming torque bind to begin with, its most likely got it now due to the d/s being gone.