Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 OBW - What do you think?

What do you think...

1996 Outback...90,000 miles..5 speed.

$5998 is what they went to from $6998.

Should I try and go lower? Is it worth much less?

Also, there is a nice dent in the hood and the grill is busted. Looks like someone hit a high bumper (the corner of it) or something. The paint is good where the dent is...but its just like a golf ball size indentation. I will take a picture of it with my cell phone when I go look today and post it later. The inside is flawless and the paint is ok...few scrapes here and there...but not other dents...so some touch up paint would do fine. I'll post later on what else I find out and a picture of it.

Lemme know what you people think.

mattocs

If this is a 2.2 then investigate further. IMHO if it is a 2.5 keep looking. The price is a touch high considering the visual issues you mentioned. 90,000 miles is nice. Our 96 OBW has a 2.2 5 speed. It won't win at the drag races (unless I am racing a Justy!!) but it isn't too bad. The car will get 29-30 on a trip and 26-27 driving around.

In our neck of the woods that car brings $5,700 if she was cherry and I have seen them as low as $4,800 if they have over 120,000 miles. Tops for me with what you have described assuming all mechanicals are top notch would be $5,000.

Will you do carfax and all of that happy crap?

Good luck,

Greg

Keep looking. My friend just moved here and we found him a 97 Legacy with a 2.2liter engine, 71,000 miles, timing belt was changed at 60k, new seals, new brake pads, clean inside and out, very clean motor compartment,... $5350.00. You can do just as well.

Sounds like a pretty nice deal to me. Here in Colorado I was looking and found a 96 wagon with 56k and the sold it for 8k and would not budge on price. I ended up buying a 91 ls wagon 5 spd awd with 110k original owner for $3600.

I went and looked at it again...took two pictures of the car with my cellular phone (sorry the quality is crappy)

2.jpg

1.jpg

I like it...except for the dings and that big dent...I am gonna keep looking but keep this one in mind. Maybe i'll go look next time i'm in Pittsburgh again.

I did the CarFax...came up clean.

Depends. I am no body man, but I think you need a different hood. Our car had similar damage from an accident and they replaced the hood. I would also check the tie-bar and grill area for damage. You could get one from a JY if the paint condition would match adequately. I found an OEM hood for it on the net for $165, maybe $100-$200 to get it painted, I don't know.

needs a new grill...those are like $80 on the net.

There are many small scratchs...but no dents...so they could be touch up painted.

I have to think about it some more...if nothing else comes along in a few weeks and that car is still there then I might go with it. I will offer them $5000 for it probably.