Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why does it seem something is missing?HELP?

8343765175_a7e60ce72d_n.jpg

Untitled by Kevin Talley, on Flickr

I need help!!!!

I was driving home and my car started idling super high in Neutral so i pulled over and checked it out..I found the source and am confused on what to do now...It appears to be a vacuum leak so I called a friend who is a car guy but not sure about old subarus and he said just plug it with something until you get home and take it easy since I had my 3yo with me and we were about 15mins from home. Well i covered it with electrical tape and made the drive home the idle returned to normal but it started to get jumpy in 3rd and 4th kinda felt like it was going to stall but kept going. Now since I have no idea how to explain it I took some pictures and maybe you can help..I looked through my repair manuals and the only picture I can find that has this valve doesn't have a description or anything so Please help if you can.

What you are pointing to in the picture looks like the connector for the hose to your brake power booster. The hose runs from here to a one way valve (which is bolted to the spare tire bracket - not sure if this is the same in the US) before connecting to the booster or vacuum servo.

How are the brakes? I would imagine you are not getting very much vacuum assistance...

The brakes are normal... At least from my experience. I looked at an older picture of the engine and it looks like this valve was just capped off. I'm thinking maybe the cap popped off. I'm workin all day so will investigate further. But you do seem to be correct I've had 3-4 friends with this engine snap photos and that is what is hooked up to the valve. Hopefully it's nothing to bad.