Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heater works sometimes.

My heater has always worked great but fort he last month or so it gets hot after running a bit but then blows cold air unless driving at freeway speeds. Last night my wife drove home from work after it had been snowing for a couple hours and no hot air to defrost the windshield and she was driving about 50 mph the whole way.Without tearing into anything yet what do you guys n gals think could be the problem or what should I try replacing first to keep the heat coming out of the vents at all times. By the way the engine temp is just as normal as always which the gauge reads less or at halfway which makes me think it shouldnt be a thermostat. Any info helps. Thanks Tony.

Edited by subinewby
spelling

No difference in engine temp? Sometimes the heat starts getting goofy if you're running low on coolant, but you should notice your engine temperature rising and falling a bit.

More likely would be blockage or gunked up heater core or lines. I forget the setup on these older subes, but there should be two hoses that run from engine to the dash and back again. I tested by unplugging both and running a garden hose through one. If water goes in one hose and out the other, it's not a blockage problem. If you can't get water through, you've got a block somewhere.

Had this same problem on my old 83 Wagon. Never got around to fixing it as it was more of a mountain car anyway.

No difference in engine temp? Sometimes the heat starts getting goofy if you're running low on coolant, but you should notice your engine temperature rising and falling a bit.

More likely would be blockage or gunked up heater core or lines. I forget the setup on these older subes, but there should be two hoses that run from engine to the dash and back again. I tested by unplugging both and running a garden hose through one. If water goes in one hose and out the other, it's not a blockage problem. If you can't get water through, you've got a block somewhere.

Had this same problem on my old 83 Wagon. Never got around to fixing it as it was more of a mountain car anyway.

Thanks man ill try it out.