Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My magic smoke came from the back of the gauges because of a simple error in the house.. I was checking the LED strip with an AC adapter instead of DC, went in the car and I had a short on the back of the traces on the gauge cluster..

Long story short all my dash lights are on but I can't adjust the brightness, I mean it's fine where it's at with not being able to adjust but it would be nice to have it back again..

Plus I'm not sure if these are model specific or what, but I can't see how it really can be..

My magic smoke came from the back of the gauges because of a simple error in the house.. I was checking the LED strip with an AC adapter instead of DC, went in the car and I had a short on the back of the traces on the gauge cluster..

Long story short all my dash lights are on but I can't adjust the brightness, I mean it's fine where it's at with not being able to adjust but it would be nice to have it back again..

Plus I'm not sure if these are model specific or what, but I can't see how it really can be..

I'm fairly sure 2nd and 3rd gen ones are the same. If it looks the same and plugs into the harness, it'll work. They almost never fail on their own, so just get one at a junk yard.

Hi, similar problem with my 01 Forester (Blue ridge edition, if that matters.) Illumunation control stopped working and the lights around the heater control are also out. All other lights are fine. I posted before and it was suggested that the lights burn out fairly often. Never did check or change them as we are in the middle of winter up here and do not have a heated area to work. My question is,would all the lights around the heater controls burn out together and is the fact that the illumination dial does not work related? I am not 100% sure but I think they illumination control and lights failed at the same time.

All fuses are good.

Thanks

I'm fairly sure 2nd and 3rd gen ones are the same. If it looks the same and plugs into the harness, it'll work. They almost never fail on their own, so just get one at a junk yard.

That's the whole pain.. I might try ebay.. trying to find something other then a 1st gen in a junk yard that you can pull yourself is a pain.

If it's not that then I'd have to go to plan B.

Just to be sure, is the one you're looking for this one? http://www.mttechsuba.com/picture/control%20unit%20illumination%20%2083023aa10%20783023021.jpg?pictureId=2267885&asGalleryImage=true

I have a few sitting on my work bench, PM me your address and I'll give you one for the price of shipping.

I will check in the morning after work to be sure.