Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need to know what to look for..

i've been around awhile on the old gen side.. never owned a new gen car.. but i found a 92 legacy L sedan.. Automatic, 2.2L engine.. now i know the 2.2's are bulletproof and the most reliable engine subaru ever made.. this car has 165k body and paint are very nice, interior is also nice.. a couple things don't work like the drivers side seatbelt and door lock, and the power window switch is broke.. fiarly new tires too.. don't know if its AWD, i need to look for the rear diff tomorrow too..

now the other stuff.. the car has a stripped out plug hole on #4.. we started it and it fired right up even without that plug.. any opinions on helicoiling it?

anything thats not obvious that i need to check for when i go back to check it out again tomorrow ?

Welcome to the world of legacies!!

Well I have also just joined the new ranks after owning 10 other subarus from 1976-1989. I recently acquired a 91 LS Wagon AWD. I would look for oil pump leaks, possible warped rotors and make sure the auto seat belts are repairable.

Gongrates and welcome aboard!!

in a beater. I think I changed plugs two times more in the time I owned it.

The tough part woould be room to work without pulling the head on one of these.

I would ditch those seatbelts and install something from another car if I owned one of those . I hate them. Just be sure to mount the seatbelts in a spot the factory has engineered for it.

Odds are all the old gen guys will get here eventually. It's kind of like having your hair fall out.

Odds are all the old gen guys will get here eventually. It's kind of like having your hair fall out.

Not a chance if subaru keeps up the way they have been going.. Bring back the EJ22 and EJ22T and you are more likely to find me here.

I would ditch those seatbelts and install something from another car if I owned one of those . I hate them. Just be sure to mount the seatbelts in a spot the factory has engineered for it.

QUOTE]

How can you convert from the motorized seat belts?

I would love to get rid of mine.

brands.

I am sure someone from the board can step in with specific knowledge.

Usually car body types are used for a number of years in many configurations.

What I did on a Mercury several years back was go to a junk yard and match up the closest ford product that did not use the auto choke belts.

I pulled the whole system from that car and mounted the belts exactly the same as they came from the donor.

If I recall I had to put a small amount of braceing under the belt area to mimic the donor car.

It was actually more trounble to get the old system out and find a similar color piece to cover where the moving rail had been.

This is the kind of thing that could be a liabilty issue so not many mechanic would do it for a customer.

The high dollar way is to contact a racing belt manufactuer.