Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pump removal EA 82

I have an 87 GL-10 w/ 50K original miles (yes, the little old lady drove it to church once a week story), that is starting to Tick really loudly, but Only one lifter seems to be making noise. The noise only happense for an extended peroid (20min drive to work) every few weeks, but When I start it up it always ticks for a second or two then goes away.

I read alot of the info on the "Tick Of Death" so I think this is likely the oil pump starting to go. Next oil change Im going to add some automatic Transfluid to see if it helps the lifter, but Id like to prepare to change the oil pump... so here are my questions.

1. Where can I buy an oil pump outside of the Subaru dealer? I could not find one on ebay or at my local parts store. What is a good price?

2. Does anyone have a procedure for replacing the pump? Any tricks or tips would be appreciated.

Is the oil pump replacement related to the timing belt replacement process? I replaced the timing belts at 46K only because the water pump & radiator needed to be replaced.

Thanks in advance

Frank T

You can save some cash and just reseal your oil pump.The O rings get brittle and don't hold pressure...Kits are cheap and most auto parts stores have them.I have used "Pro-Long" oil treatment and it quieted down that tic,tic noise.Pricey stuff but I use it when I feel rich,haha. Hmmmm ...Well the money u save re-sealing your pump will more than pay for the Pro Long..Just a thought,C ya,Todd the OSF

I just ordered an EA82 oil pump rebuild kit, crank seal, cam seals and cam cap o-rings for $72 from my Subaru dealer. I broke a timing belt (oil soaked timing belts don't last very long I hear...) and will be rebuilding/resealing the places that might leak oil while I'm in there. My timing belt kit from ebay was $65 I believe... Includes the belts and tensioners. You may want to think about that while you're in there. Then again, maybe with so little miles the belts might be fine.

My intent is to follow the thread already posted here about rebuilding/resealing the pump.

Here's a sloppy little write-up I made when I put in a new oil pump in the Loyale because of the T.O.D.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128964

Feel free to message me with any questions.

Oh and def. just replace the pump instead of just resealing it. They can be had pretty cheap and it's peace of mind. My .02

Edited by l75eya
Helps to include the link..