Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Torque Bind FWD mode question, plus

I've looked and I can't really find anyone else with my set of facts- the (younger) principal driver of the car said she felt a pop (in the drive-thru line at Starbucks, of course) and the "car wouldn't go without shaking". After taking a look and test drive, then looking up the symptoms, it seems that it's "torque bind", or something related. I read all kinds of stuff, then went and had the trans fluid changed, which improved the cars performance greatly. The following day the torque bind had returned. I saw the references to plugging a fuse into the FWD slot, found it and did so. With the FWD fuse installed, the car won't move- it just shudders. So it seems the FRONT clutch or solenoid or whatever is out, right? I sure have learned a lot lately- R&R'd a (rebuilt) CV axle recently, so I have some basic ability. Can anyone say for certain what probably broke before I crawl under the car?

You popped a cv joint. I bet (be careful) if you put the FWD fuse in the holder, put the car in drive (do not stand in front of the car) and look at the drive shafts, you will see one spinning like mad and the other just sitting there waiting for something to happen. It is the one that is spinning like mad that is broken.

The rear wheels are essentially driving the car, the vibration your feeling is the bad CV Joint, and the fluid change, all soobys love fluid changes.

OK I just did that- I couldn't see anything spinning, but I could see some significant vibration of the driver side inner boot- I guess that would mean another CV / shaft replacement. I did the other side about 2 months ago...

OK I just did that- I couldn't see anything spinning, but I could see some significant vibration of the driver side inner boot- I guess that would mean another CV / shaft replacement. I did the other side about 2 months ago...

Broke at the inner CV joint. Just replace the axles, don't rebuild them. Use the source cited.

So the car can move on its own now?

If so, where can you feel the vibration.

Is it throughout first gear or only towards the bottom middle or end of the rpm range?

Does it happen in all gears at that rpm or only first and reverse?

Wht happens when you go to parking lot and make a full lock turn at idle speed?

Do all your tires match

Are all the tires properly inflated?