Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am preping him for his first major surgery, an amplifier.

I have the factory HVAC built into the (2009) Head unit. From looking at the wiring diagrams I can not seem to find a good signal source to turn the amp on. If this works I will decide if I can use that to drive it Or does it need to pull in a relay to turn on the amplifier.

The 2009 unit had the SAT option, so I am going to try to find the power source that goes from the head unit to the SAT unit and use that as the signal for the amp.

The plan is to mount the amp (sony xplod) under the passenger seat, OR if the measurements work out in the spare tire area.

I wish I could find a good wiring diagram on all the connectors on the back of this head unit, as the FSM leaves out all the cables for the SAT unit.

I looked on Scoobymods but nothing is listed.

Thanks

Run a new wire and tap it into the same source that turns on the radio, then just use a relay. Then you don't have to mess with the stock radio wiring at all. You don't need really need the radio to tell the amp to turn on, it's just nice. If the radio is off and the amp is on, there will still be no sound, and the amp draw is minimal when there is no input on the amp.

You should just get a Line Level in to RCA converter box. Something like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC2I/AudioControl-LC2i.html?tp=2001 Then you can just choose which speaker wire you want the input to be from and just go from there. I got one sitting next to my other 2 amps waiting to get installed into a tribeca or something once I get a newer car for my wife. That way you don't have to worry about find a good "signal", just choose a speaker wire!

Ok wasnt sure about the draw since I got this used from ebay, found the specs, no real info.

The amp will have to be mounted on the back of the drivers side folding seat upside down to protect the wires when there is cargo. It doesnt fit under the seat.

I wonder where subaru puts the amp normally.

I threw my setup into my spare tire well:

1000000790.JPG

Granted I have more stuff and it's a '90 Leggy, but that's what I did. Been like that for 2 years and have no issues. It's great to not have to worry about folding down my seats and having an amp to worry about when hauling stuff.

What are you using the amp for? For a sub or to power the inside speakers?