Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Real horsepower from A 2.2l

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 renob123

renob123

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Hillsburrito, OR

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Subruise is referring to me. There was one Brat in Canada or NE Washington that had one before mine did, though.

Don't bother with any power beyond an EJ22 with Delta cams until you've worked out suspension, brakes, and drivetrain.

Jacob

#52 Hatched

Hatched

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Appalachia,VA.,USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Subruise is referring to me. There was one Brat in Canada or NE Washington that had one before mine did, though.

Don't bother with any power beyond an EJ22 with Delta cams until you've worked out suspension, brakes, and drivetrain.

Jacob

I'm going to stay with a 2.2l in my gen-2 hatch. But that is a super cool brat! :headbang:

#53 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,340 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

In regards to frankenmotors, i just put one together. IF you can find a 2.5 as easily as a 2.2 to use the bottom end on, consider it an option.

The one i put together with dude had sat in the back of a car and had rust on the cylinders Shall i say that it runs reliably and does not smoke! this was in a 95 using the stock intake and heads and ecu.

witht this engien, there is the option for delta cams and headers as it already has dual ports and rocker valvetrain.

So what i am saying is that a frankenmotor si seasy to do, and don't worry about cylinders or the bottom end. Do be certain if any donor ej25 had been overheated or not.

#54 TajMan

TajMan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

What difference does the frankenmotor give with the EJ25D bottom end vs. the EJ251 bottom end? (with 91-95 2.2 heads, porting, cams, & headers)
I.E. - which one gives a higher compression anyone have approximate CR numbers?, & 91 octane would be required with said block?

#55 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,219 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

General Disorder has said the comp ratio of the ej251 with ej22 heads is well over 12 :1

#56 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,926 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

i run a 2.5 block with 2.2 crank and rods gives me about 8.5-1 comp ratio

#57 TajMan

TajMan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

^nice, about the most perfect ideal CR for a boosted motor,
I have a turbo car at 8.5:1 CR

#58 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,219 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

i run a 2.5 block with 2.2 crank and rods gives me about 8.5-1 comp ratio

which ej25 pistons are you running Ivan, I've considered building a destroked ej25 but couldn't find anything one the compression ratio

#59 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

General Disorder has said the comp ratio of the ej251 with ej22 heads is well over 12 :1

NOT what I said.

EJ251 is 11.5:1

EJ25D is 10.6:1, or for '96 pistons ONLY it is over 12:1

GD

#60 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,926 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

run any 2.5 piston you whant i like the sti pistons for the destroker as they are resably tough and easy to find for cheap butt it works good with 2.5d pistons or 2.51 pistons but they are weaker. I can biuld a destroker engine with used parts for under 150$ so longevity is erelavent but of the 4 i built all are still runing strong. The prototype destroker has 6 years of buggy and offroad use on it

#61 TajMan

TajMan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

I just purchased a '96 Legacy L with the 2.2L engine (bad trans).
I figured at a minimum I would use the 2.2 SOHC heads and the '96 wiring/computer.

Now I just have to decide the crankshaft/rods/block/pistons/cams that would be best to go with those heads for some type of frankenmotor build around 8.5:1 CR for turbo boost.

#62 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Put the whole 2.2l engine in as is and drive it, then build up a 2.5l block as you see fit later.

Focus on the harness and getting the engine in and running before anything else.

#63 TajMan

TajMan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

I'm a custom builder, I know that is a good answer for most people thanks, this car purchase and my project goals are driven by different reasons and will be built as I see fit first.

#64 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

If you are planning a turbo build I would not start with the 96 legacy harness then. Start with a newer harness and computer that are user tunable without the use of a piggy back.

A harness out of an 02 WRX would make your life much easier down the line as you upgrade or change things around. Look up open source tuning for Subaru's. The extra money you spend getting the harness and ECU will be more than saved by not having to buy piggy back or stand alone aftermarket ECU's to work with the 96 legacy harness.

As far as the 2.5l short block, use a phase 2 block and crank because the rod journals are the right size for the later 2.5l turbo rods and aftermarket ones. The EJ25d has smaller rod journals and the thrust bearing on 3 instead of 5 like the Phase 2's.

Figure out the EJ22e's head chamber cc and pick a piston with a deep enough dish to compensate. You may have to go aftermarket, but a cheap option would be stock STi takeouts from a brand new block that someones putting forged pistons in.

This is assuming you're using a pre-EA82 body, because that's the only reason to run the ej22e heads. Otherwise go DOHC and do a proper turbo engine build up.

#65 TajMan

TajMan

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

I am learning more and more about all these frankenmotors, what i was thinking was a destroker was not quite the parts I thought it was, but ya..
Seems the old '96 2.2 heads would only be good for a cheaper N/A 2.5 frankenmotor build..

#66 Hatched

Hatched

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Appalachia,VA.,USA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Do the Frankenmotors have headgasket issues?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users