Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Real horsepower from A 2.2l

Hatched

What difference does the frankenmotor give with the EJ25D bottom end vs. the EJ251 bottom end? (with 91-95 2.2 heads, porting, cams, & headers)

I.E. - which one gives a higher compression anyone have approximate CR numbers?, & 91 octane would be required with said block?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

run any 2.5 piston you whant i like the sti pistons for the destroker as they are resably tough and easy to find for cheap butt it works good with 2.5d pistons or 2.51 pistons but they are weaker. I can biuld a destroker engine with used parts for under 150$ so longevity is erelavent but of the 4 i built all are still runing strong. The prototype destroker has 6 years of buggy and offroad use on it

I just purchased a '96 Legacy L with the 2.2L engine (bad trans).

I figured at a minimum I would use the 2.2 SOHC heads and the '96 wiring/computer.

Now I just have to decide the crankshaft/rods/block/pistons/cams that would be best to go with those heads for some type of frankenmotor build around 8.5:1 CR for turbo boost.

If you are planning a turbo build I would not start with the 96 legacy harness then. Start with a newer harness and computer that are user tunable without the use of a piggy back.

A harness out of an 02 WRX would make your life much easier down the line as you upgrade or change things around. Look up open source tuning for Subaru's. The extra money you spend getting the harness and ECU will be more than saved by not having to buy piggy back or stand alone aftermarket ECU's to work with the 96 legacy harness.

As far as the 2.5l short block, use a phase 2 block and crank because the rod journals are the right size for the later 2.5l turbo rods and aftermarket ones. The EJ25d has smaller rod journals and the thrust bearing on 3 instead of 5 like the Phase 2's.

Figure out the EJ22e's head chamber cc and pick a piston with a deep enough dish to compensate. You may have to go aftermarket, but a cheap option would be stock STi takeouts from a brand new block that someones putting forged pistons in.

This is assuming you're using a pre-EA82 body, because that's the only reason to run the ej22e heads. Otherwise go DOHC and do a proper turbo engine build up.