Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA71 Rebuild kits

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dan-AZ

Dan-AZ

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flagstaff, AZ

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

I found a place in Utah that sells rebuild kits for EA71 engines. I am rebuilding this Summer so I figured I'd let everyone out there know that this guys sells them.

http://www.rpmrons.com/index.html

I have only talked with via email and he states he has the stuff.

#2 EWSuby

EWSuby

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Clovis, NM

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Clegg's also sells the EA71 rebuild kit, I just purchased mine through them. You can also by a crankshaft through them too..

www.cleggengine.com

#3 Brat78

Brat78

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Richmond Hill, GA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

The problem I ran into with mine was sourcing the passenger side head when it was deemed unusable by the head shop. For me it turned out to be less expensive to get a junkyard shelf motor for $500 than rebuild mine if you include labor time. Way less hours to install. Unless, of course, you just want to rebuild it. My camshaft was chewed up also. And the cam gear is NLA. I figured I'd be better off with more parts around. I think next time around it'll be EJ time anyway. Same with the VW camper.

Edited by Brat78, 12 January 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#4 Dan-AZ

Dan-AZ

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flagstaff, AZ

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

My engine only has 140,000 miles. The seals are going out so I figured I would tear it apart and replace what I could. The engine is solid and I haven't had problems with it. I am looking to get at least another 100,000 miles.

The problem is getting parts for my gal. I have never had to do modifications on her, but I think that all is about to change. My electrical system is giving me problems with the alternator and V/R so when that's all fixed, I plan my next step.

When she becomes unrepairable, I will probably cry for a week. Then it will give me an opportunity to find a 80's Brat and start all over again.

#5 bonvo

bonvo

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • LaPine, Or

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

Clegg's also sells the EA71 rebuild kit, I just purchased mine through them. You can also by a crankshaft through them too..

www.cleggengine.com

how reputable is this site? looks nice and has everything i need for all 3 of my vehicles 

#6 EWSuby

EWSuby

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Clovis, NM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Quick shipping and great communication.. they they sell on EBay all the time too..

#7 O.C.D.

O.C.D.

Subaru Fanatic!

• Validating
  • 690 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Sweet, I sourced every gasket/seal from SOA for mine and did not know of this until today.  Oh well, live and learn.

#8 bonvo

bonvo

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • LaPine, Or

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

Quick shipping and great communication.. they they sell on EBay all the time too..

good im glad to hear it cause once i check my specs im going to order a re ring kit from them 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users