Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 Rebuild kits

The problem I ran into with mine was sourcing the passenger side head when it was deemed unusable by the head shop. For me it turned out to be less expensive to get a junkyard shelf motor for $500 than rebuild mine if you include labor time. Way less hours to install. Unless, of course, you just want to rebuild it. My camshaft was chewed up also. And the cam gear is NLA. I figured I'd be better off with more parts around. I think next time around it'll be EJ time anyway. Same with the VW camper.

Edited by Brat78

My engine only has 140,000 miles. The seals are going out so I figured I would tear it apart and replace what I could. The engine is solid and I haven't had problems with it. I am looking to get at least another 100,000 miles.

The problem is getting parts for my gal. I have never had to do modifications on her, but I think that all is about to change. My electrical system is giving me problems with the alternator and V/R so when that's all fixed, I plan my next step.

When she becomes unrepairable, I will probably cry for a week. Then it will give me an opportunity to find a 80's Brat and start all over again.

• 1 month later...

Clegg's also sells the EA71 rebuild kit, I just purchased mine through them. You can also by a crankshaft through them too..

www.cleggengine.com

how reputable is this site? looks nice and has everything i need for all 3 of my vehicles