Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 rear sway bar...

Anyone ever see a factory sway bar on an EA81 model?

Anyone else ever put one on an EA81 model?

I just installed a modified RX rear sway bar on my '85 Brat. It really tightens things up. I will have to get new tires to replace the 20 yr old BFG's :brow: . Gave Turbone(Rob) a ride in it tonight and it is noticably stiffer. Handles most corners with ease. Hit one corner fast enough that the front tires slipped but not the back. Definitely needs tires though.

WRX1AB welded rear swaybar brackets to his '81 DL Wagon when he put the RX suspension and diff in. Me and Shannon SF ended up taking out the entire rear torsion bar setup with the swaybar attatched and it looked like it would really help the rear end handle the weight of the wagon in turns.

-Brian

Heres the email the guy sent me regarding the mounts:

Hey, attached are pictures of the brackets I fabricated for the sway bar onto the rear control arms of my 86 GL hatchback.

You will need to take the heat shield off the exhaust, then test fit the sway bar onto the rear. I had to chop about two inches off both ends off the bar so it wouldn't hit the brake backing plates.

Get the original mounting clips off the donor car including the bolts. Mine was an 88 XT.

Take a piece of 1"x1" box steel and cut it down the center so you end up with a ]. cut the ] until it is appx 1 1/2" long and slice it so the tab will fit. Tap a bolt hole into the small ] so you can use the original bolt.

Once you see the mounting bracket that last paragraph will be a bit more understandable.

Put the brackets onto the sway bar that you've cut down and mount it temporarily onto the lower control arms with zip ties.

Get it where you want it and tack weld the brackets into place.

Make sure it doesn't hit the underside of the floor pan beneath the rear seats, it makes a hell of a rattle. Ask me how I know.

weld that thing in there. I didn't paint my fabricated brackets when I installed them, I suggest you do.

The pictures don't really show much, just the underside of a dirty Sube.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jay

Link to pic: http://usmb.net/gallery/album215/EA81_rear_swaybar?full=1

Hope this helps some!

Well, I did it yesterday. It's in and done. Mine came from an '86 GL10 turbo sedan. I cut off the brackets and rewelded them to the trailing arms. I had to cut about 1 1/2" off of the ends of the sway bar. Fits nice and clean. It's tucked up out of the way just as stock would be. Handling is improved dramatically. Time to get the 14's refinished and new tires put on. I'll probably go with Zeiks or Proxes from Shwab. I think I'll go with 195/60R14's this time though.

Qman, Mine was a bit twichy in the big sweepers with the short wheelbase, trailbrake with commitment. In the tight twisties the hatch was a freakin blast. You could use the throttle to change directions. I had 195/60R15 BFG's mounted on pugs. If I had it to do over I would rob the brackets from the donor, much cleaner look I suspect.

After I did a rallycross in Orange I heard a clunking from the rear and turns out I pulled the mounting flange that wraps the rubber mount out of the hole in the bracket. Watch for this. I think it has something to do with the narrower wheelbase twisting the bar a bit harder.

Post some pictures when you get time.

Regards,

Jay

• 10 months later...

Craig, dredging up an old link (thanks Galen) and I've been in contact with Whiteline in Australia but they don't know what a Brat is. Can you photcopy the Whiteline page that shows the kit for the EA81 cars? Thanks, ---ed---

Whiteline show a rear sway bar kit for the EA81s in their catalog. I wonder if any of the US distributors can get them.

Craig, dredging up an old link (thanks Galen) and I've been in contact with Whiteline in Australia but they don't know what a Brat is. Can you photcopy the Whiteline page that shows the kit for the EA81 cars? Thanks, ---ed---

In Australia Subaru call the Brat the Brumby. And I have seen them called Leone Brumbys down here :rolleyes: