Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ22t won't start, floods with gas

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • KY

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

That much pressure suggests to me the fuel pressure regulator is the source of your problem. Are you sure you didn't cross the fuel lines? Thinking the fuel runs from the filter, through the injectors, to the FPR and then back to the tank.

#27 naru

naru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,774 posts
  • under the bridge

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

So, I finally got around to doing a fuel pressure test, and this is definitely the issue: 66 psi!

So, I think I'm going to end up replacing all of my fuel lines (feed and return). Does anyone have any suggestion on what to use? Can I just use regular rubber fuel hose (MPI rated), or should I use SS braided hose, or something else? I'd prefer not to use hardlines, just because I don't like dealing with unions and bending that length of line.

I would not bother replacing fuel lines.
I would make sure the return line from the FPR to the tank is open however.
Maybe direct it into a gas can for testing purposes.

Give the FPR a few love taps.

#28 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,702 posts
  • Texas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

pardon my ignorance but, what should the pressure be?

#29 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • KY

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Thinking a little less than 40 psi. 66 pounds makes me wonder because I ran a little more than that when I had my 90 turbo wagon and never had a problem. OP may need new or cleaned injectors but I would still first suspect the FPR or he crossed the fuel lines when he reinstalled the engine.

#30 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,124 posts
  • WA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

I dont think it will even run if you swap the fuel lines (ask me how I know).

#31 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

i doubt its a feul preshure problem the injectors control the flow not the preshure might make it a little ritch but not that mutch.

#32 hellosubaru

hellosubaru

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

I thought I'd post my end results in case this helps anyone. I've finally got the car running reliably.

I did another fuel pressure test shortly after I did my initial fuel pressure test, but this time I did it on the return side instead of the feed. There was ~80psi on the return, which confirmed my suspicion that something was wrong with the fuel lines.

I made some SS PTFE feed and return lines, and replaced all of the lines from the tank to the engine. After driving the car for a few days now, the plug have cleaned themselves up (they aren't completely fuel fouled black anymore), and the car is running great, smooth as ever.

#33 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,729 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

80+ on the return side?! Yeah that return line plugged up somehow. Kinda have to wonder where the obstruction came from though.
Glad you got it running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users