Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIY - Wheel bearing replacement?

Guys, I need to replace some wheel bearings. Harbor Freight has a set of bearing drivers for 15.00 (good enough for my extremely occasional use) or am I just better off taking to the shop?

Never done it before and would like opinions on whether this is a PITA or better off to spend 20 or so at the shop.

Thanks,

UMT

If you have doubt in the tool, shop labor is still cheaper if you pull the knuckle for them. This applies to the front.

for the rear you will want to do it with the hub tamer tool because the knuckle would be the last part to remove after the suspension links, axle, then brake backing plate just to get it apart that far.

I have no experience with a hub tamer tool but it looks to be the way to DIY if you are good at using tools.

Guys, I need to replace some wheel bearings. Harbor Freight has a set of bearing drivers for 15.00 (good enough for my extremely occasional use) or am I just better off taking to the shop?

Never done it before and would like opinions on whether this is a PITA or better off to spend 20 or so at the shop.

Thanks,

UMT

what cars? some newer legacies have HBAs dont they?

i bought a kent moore subaru hub and berring replacer kitt for all legacys and outbacks ect cost 1500 $ and have done over a 100 thiss year without thiss tooling is a tough job even with a press and berring spliters

99 Impreza Outback for those who are interested.

I went and looked at the tool and wasn't sure it was large enough to do the job so I decided to forget about it.

Will just remove the hubs (front) and take to the shop.

If I would have had my act together when I ordered the bearings,,, I could have just ordered the hub assembly for just a little bit more. That's what I'll do next time I'm replacing bearings..

Thanks, guys!

UMT