Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIY - Wheel bearing replacement?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 UMT

UMT

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Pound, WI.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Guys, I need to replace some wheel bearings. Harbor Freight has a set of bearing drivers for 15.00 (good enough for my extremely occasional use) or am I just better off taking to the shop?

Never done it before and would like opinions on whether this is a PITA or better off to spend 20 or so at the shop.

Thanks,

UMT

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,180 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

If you have doubt in the tool, shop labor is still cheaper if you pull the knuckle for them. This applies to the front.

for the rear you will want to do it with the hub tamer tool because the knuckle would be the last part to remove after the suspension links, axle, then brake backing plate just to get it apart that far.

I have no experience with a hub tamer tool but it looks to be the way to DIY if you are good at using tools.

#3 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,279 posts
  • Texas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Guys, I need to replace some wheel bearings. Harbor Freight has a set of bearing drivers for 15.00 (good enough for my extremely occasional use) or am I just better off taking to the shop?

Never done it before and would like opinions on whether this is a PITA or better off to spend 20 or so at the shop.

Thanks,

UMT

what cars? some newer legacies have HBAs dont they?

#4 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,902 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

i bought a kent moore subaru hub and berring replacer kitt for all legacys and outbacks ect cost 1500 $ and have done over a 100 thiss year without thiss tooling is a tough job even with a press and berring spliters

#5 UMT

UMT

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Pound, WI.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

i bought a kent moore subaru hub and berring replacer kitt for all legacys and outbacks ect cost 1500 $ and have done over a 100 thiss year without thiss tooling is a tough job even with a press and berring spliters

99 Impreza Outback for those who are interested.

I went and looked at the tool and wasn't sure it was large enough to do the job so I decided to forget about it.

Will just remove the hubs (front) and take to the shop.

If I would have had my act together when I ordered the bearings,,, I could have just ordered the hub assembly for just a little bit more. That's what I'll do next time I'm replacing bearings..

Thanks, guys!

UMT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users