Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tool box or tool bag?

1-3-2-4

I'm in dire need of something to keep the tools in the car, I used the nylon canvas bag from my job but the weight and sawzall blades made a nice 5 inch long gash in it..

Right now I have in the back of my outback, my plastic black & decker tool box with a missing latch on one side and 2 nylon canvas bags one with a air cut-off tool and 1/2" impact wrench and the other with all the bolts taken out of an old 5 MT mixed with some other sawzall blades.

I'm not sure what would be best for me? The Air tools I don't always keep in the car like that but my tool box is pretty packed and looking to downsize if possible.. I have almost everything you can think of.. 150 Ft.lb tq wrench, plilers, feeler gauges 2 switches for a manual transmission..

For home/camp repairs I have a few tool buckets with the nylon things that go around them with pockets on inside and outside. Things like pipe wrenches, saws, basin wrench, and heavy things go inside. Most tools go into the pockets on the inside and outside.

I have JY toolboxes and a few of those canvas tool things. I end up taking both to JY. A nice socket set for the JY with cheap ratchets and stuff (Sears set - although I got a new one at Cmas from Lowes that seem like better tools) and a canves bag for saw blades, hammers, pry bars, channel locks, crescent wrenches, more extensions and ratchets,etc. Since they will take longer pieces. T%he canvas bag gets unloaded into my tool box when I get back. The JY socket set doesn't.

I try to keep my tools grouped in different boxes based on the task. My example is construction tools.

I have a husky carry bag that i keep my everyday hand tools in (hammer, prybar,tape, square, pencil, screwdriver) if i need one other random tool i will toss it in the bag to take with me. My milwaukee cordless drill set has a hard case for 2 drills and the charger, but often i just throw the one drill in the bag and take it solo since the battery is big enough to get me through any small job and i dont need the whole kit all the time.Otherwise i have a hard plastic box for my plumbing tools, and another one for drywall tools.

for auto tools i like the little canvas bags for wrenches and sockets, on each for 3/8, 1/4, etc. This is easy for junkyarding.

I like the smaller metal tool box for the angle grinder. I have one of the crappier canvas bags for my sawzall, and the blades are in a little case inside the bag.

Think about modilarity.

I have a menards shopping basket i use for caulk guns, or any other odd tools i am using outside of their set or bag so i am not bringing my whole fleet of tools to use only one from each set. You are not going to want to bring ALL of your tools all of the time isf tgere is any risk of theft or compromise. I never leave tools in my truck overnite. I live in the ghetto anyway, so i had to learn these habits where i normally would have trusted the environment i am at anywhere.

miles' approach is similar to mine, 'specialized' containers. Household stuff broken down by function, electrical ,water supply, water drainage, woodworking, painting etc. Similar with the car stuff. Of course there's overlap and I have a 'generic' bag( Hammer, dogbone wrench, knife, needlenose w/sidecutter, waterpump pliers, medium crescent, vice grips, screwdrivers etc.) that usually goes along with each of the special bags/boxes.

I'd be worried though about thievery. Consider bowling bags. might take more than one for some of you guys but, they don't scream STEAL ME at least. Pick 'em up at thrift stores/garage sales.

I've carried a canvas bag for my mobile auto tools since the 80's.

I dont need to carry tools around for work any more, so if I need to take more tools I'll throw them in a plastic bucket or old milk crate.

I have a substantial investment into my tools and try to keep them as secure as possible. I dont have a garage so my rolllerbox is in my office, along with most of my power tools.

I have a bag similar to that but it is the zip up version. I kept everything in it except what was in my tool belt. I was taking the drill in its case, but i used the bag to keep all the bit sets and tools that i would need on the job but not using them every day.

I managed to carry all of this on a scooter to do a construction job.

Depot has the square carry bags on sale for 10 bucks.

The Army Tanker tool bag will put most nylon bags to shame. It's not huge at 19" x 9" x 6" but it carries what you need for a car or truck mechanical bag. The canvas on these bags is super tough, we used them on the M1A1's and they took a lot of abuse. Great for a yard bag. I always choose a bag over a box for truly portable or "in the field" use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olive-Drab-Military-Heavyweight-Canvas-Tanker-Tool-Bag-/130730094987#vi-content

I can fit everything in a very small bag and that one fits in one like the rigid open one linked to above from Home Depot. I really like those as you can see your stuff and things dont rattle in the back of the wagon like a rigid toolbox.

• 1 month later...

I don"t play the toolbox or bag game anymore....lugging a Fifty # box full of tools 1/2 a blk. to the yard Sucks :angry: Plus the theives try to walk off with your wheelbarrow while your under the car {eeesss mine bro}that happened twice to me not a third though {pistol=deterrant :ph34r: }=eeess cool bro,so for the last 5-6 yrs.,I"ve put on my backpack-I can lay out my tools inside the car i"m working on{raping parts off of} and be safe and use the barrow for my parts!!The backpacks the cats meow for scouting parts-you can pull parts stash em an come back w/barrow!!! My cars safe {I have DOGs for an alarm sys.} you will have to shoot them before you get in -_- I admit the pack does get heavy on the back but SOOO much easier!!! :D