Ultimate Subaru Message Board

air suspension question and help

i have 88 turbo a/t spfi full time 4wd wagon , when the car sits like 8 hrs or longer all the air leaks out of the front air struts , after you start it up and let it build up it is fine while driving , if you park it with the motor off for 1 hr it is ok , it was fine a week ago , where should i start looking ? any easy fix ? and yes i have looked at the xt board and read about it , or should i replace the front 2 struts ? what are good name brand ? are there different sizes or are they all the same for a ea82 manual wagon 88, ?

I don't think there are any aftermarket air suspensions available that are a direct replacement. When I got my soob 3 years ago the two rears were shot and I think I was looking at $1000 for it to be fixed by the Subaru dealer. I bought the non-air (4 pre-loaded struts) from Hal's Parts for about $250 and had some shop put them in for less than $200 = $450 total. I did not have the time nor did I know the Soob well enough yet to do the work myself, so if you are good with a wrench, maybe you need no labor. FWIW - the Soob runs fine after you disconnect the air-ride controller under the drivers seat so it does not keep trying to inflate what is not there (if you remove air ride).

Chad

87 GL10 Turbo

Couple ounces of tire sealant (slime or equivelent) directly in the top of each strut may well buy time on these fronts. Don't run it through the solenoids. Take hose off top of strut. With air already out of them. Don't want a hose to blow in your face.

I put 2 used air struts on front of my XT6 bout 3 years ago. These were found at verious yards in the US for around 100 bux.

ok, did some looking ,i think the black air line is bad , when i wiggle the black air line going into the strut it sometimes leaks more or less , i set it all back togather and it is not leaking , can i replace the black air line ? and where can i get the line at ?

Could be the o-rings too. There are little tiny o-rings around the black line at all connecting points. These are supposed to be replaced everytime you disconnect the line, but lots of people don't.

You could take one to your parts house, and match it up, or I'm sure you can order some through your dealer.

If it is the actual line, you might have some luck "patching it" using parts from the line kit for normal air shocks...that's what I did. It's just plain old plastic air line...

RedLance