Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90' Loyale/6 build

rpholz

So I've decided to combine my rusty XT6 with a rust free 50 dollar Loyale.

yes, there are better options than the ER27 but i have it, it runs great and doesn't cost me any money

so anywho, beginning with a thoroughly inspected Loyale

8BB49A24-DA74-4522-ABF3-9F0D4681CAE3-17842-0000140BABB47921.jpg

then i ripped out its guts

C1B8EB4F-7324-489D-AA31-B1375EDDDD28-24188-00001B8E61A36047.jpg

relocated the radiator

735893_389657034459201_458366219_o_zps8730e94f.jpg

cut a hole in the hood for super JDM awsome scoopage

538522_563765173635971_489979012_n_zps4f18b93f.jpg

made up a bumper

736956_391716260919945_1456413457_o_zpsd765f376.jpg

THEN, on the weekend the major swap work was to begin I caught the flu, so I'm sitting in bed making this post.

plans are to lift it and run 205/75/15 General Grabber AT2 on VW steel rims

eventually fit the xt6 electric steering (currently going to run my DL manual rack)

still not sure what strut setup i need to run to clear the tires...

Getting the flu just plain sucks!!!!!

Looking forward to the ER27 swap. Thought about it myself for the '88 Wagon, as I have 2 of those engines sitting in the garage, and 1 harness mostly stripped down.

Also considered the cybrid steering system. Don't have the sensor for the steering column anymore, but I've read that it's not really needed. Don't know for sure on that.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

actually had a question for you Tom, i read in your thread(good work btw) the xt6 engine crossmember has the engine mounts further forward, would you suggest using the xt6 crossmember for the er27 or the stock ea one?

got out to change out the pedal box, man that was a poor decision! felt dizzy and shakey after 5 mins. however do i need to drop the steering column to get the box out?

should of put this in the first post but here's the plan:

starting with a 90 Loyale, SPFI, 3eat, 2wd. adding:

er27 powered, FT4wd, 5 lug. either OBS struts or BOSS 2" lift if the struts will clear the tires. WRX front seats, XT headlights(no not pop ups)

Eventualy: Cyrbrid steering, working a/c, upgraded lighting, more that i'm sure i'll come up with.

basically I want a useful surfwagon that I can go trail riding, carry parts etc etc.

Edited by rpholz

would you suggest using the xt6 crossmember for the er27 or the stock ea one?

There's a good chance that it wouldn't be a simple swap. I have measured and compared a standard EA82 (Loyale) one to an XT6 one. The XT6 ones are bigger (front to back).

For example, the distance between the control arm mounts and sway bar mounts is more (which is why an XT6 sway bar will rub on the control arms in an EA82). Also the jacking plate is longer. So I would bet that the 2 bolts that hold the crossmember to the frame are further apart.

I'm sure it's swappable, but don't expect an easy bolt-in project. There will likely be some modification, that will effect the suspension geometry and engine fitment.

Ah, Chux good info!

Yea that would be bad as my measurements and rad support modification is based of the loyales, engine mount points, it would suck to have all that work thrown out the window, looks like ill be doing a standard 5 lug swap with the ER fitted to the crossmember that's already in there.

Guess I can go ahead and fit my DL steering rack to the car and go from there.

Hopefully work will resume this Sunday as I get a 3 day weekend.

And thanks for a heads up on the steering column guys. This swap would be easier if the XT6 wasn't my daily driver. I have the motorcycle and work van for when it does go down was just hoping to start it while it was still 70-80 degrees outside...

I'm not sure how the ER27's mounts will line up with an EA82 crossmember. Thinking they'd be to far forward where the stud is.

Don't know if the EA82 mounts will fit the ER27, or if they'd last long if they do fit

There's 2 dimples in the ER27's crossmember. Drill thru those and you have the proper holes for mounting it in an EA82 body. Rear holes are the same location on both.

After drilling the 2 holes, I mounted the entire XT6 front suspension under the Wagon. Everything bolted in as it should with the added holes.

Strut-rod brackets bolted right in as they should. That tells me that the knuckles would be where they should be.

I have the XT6 front swaybar mounted to the EA82 crossmember. Haven't noticed any rubbing, yet.

I had to redo the previous work done to the strut-top mounting area, but you shouldn't have any issue there. I used a spare EA82 strut-top for proper pattern of bolt holes, XT6 strut-tops bolted right in.

I used the XT6 coupler to connect the Wagon's column to the XT6 rack. Which is currently juiced by the EA82 PS pump running ATF for fluid.

XT6 rack fits the EA82 crossmember with no issues. But you need to use the EA82 PS lines that run across the crossmember. Haven't actually measured anything, but I'm thinking the XT6 ones would be way close to the oilpan if used on an EA82 crossmember. But that's running them with the EA82 engine also.

I had to open the bolt holes in the EA82 crossmember for the lower control arms so the bolt for the XT6 LCA's would fit. I moved the hole down slightly also. The top edge of the new hole is still the top edge of the old hole.

Wasn't easy to do laying under the Wagon either....

Edited by TomRhere
corrections

Huh, doesn't the ER use the same BS grease filled mount as the eg33?

If so I wouldn't mind figuring out how to use a ea or ej mount instead as I have about a million of each so even if it did break I'd have more.

The Cybrid steering is for down the road. So p/s lines and such aren't a concern at the moment. (I'd like to figure out how to fit a condenser and associated a/c parts first)

As far as struts I had planned on xt6 spring/top hat coupled with whatever strut be it OBS or forester etc etc.

Rears are 4wd wagon springs on new oem 2wd struts. At least I think they are 2wd/ does anyone have a measurement from spring perch to the bottom? All my cars and ones I've bought have had identical rear struts so I'm not sure length vs if its 2 or 4wd