Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another one saved from the Grim Reaper! Again...

I just finished HGs on an 88 XT that I got for my daughter just about 4 years ago. Unfortunately, she decided to hang out with the wrong crowd and spent a lot of time grounded and 'lost' her chance to get the car. That lasted about a year and a half and then she straightened up, but then it was an issue of money and time. Fast forward.... She got a job and came up with the money to fix it (trying to teach her financial responsibility), and she's never driven it. Why did I say I saved it again? I'm glad I asked. :grin: Around 7 years ago, a gal I was dating needed a car and didn't have a lot of money. I did some poking around since she liked my 87.5. Found one in Tacoma that belonged to a board member. He was going to part it. Body and interior wise, it was in pretty good condition. Mechanically, not so much, but the seller was straight forward about the issues. I don't think there was a seal or gasket on the engine that wasn't leaking something except the PS. One axle was shot, the other had the boot shredded. Brakes were about gone and tires were fair. She paid him $300 and I drove it home. Pulled the engine, resealed it, new belts, tensioners, water pump t-stat, cap rotor, plugs, wires, brakes on all 4 corners, 2 front shafts and a new clutch. All for another $300. At the time, she couldn't afford the HGs which were weeping externally, so I told her they would go eventually. 3 years later after we stopped seeing each other, they went. Right after she put on $500 worth of Schwabby skins. Now she had money for a newer car and calls me up asking if I want to buy it. Sure! She says, $300. SOLD! lol Not like I didn't know the history. Anywhoo, it's back to running like a top, no leaks, 1/4 gauge on temp ( I put the mechanical fan back on as she has issues watching gauges), 30 psi oil pressure at idle and not a hint of TOD. She's down it the shop cleaning it now and it should be back on the road in a couple of weeks.

Always nice to keep one out of the crusher. I crush too many but I like that I am saving at least 3 others by crushing one. That wouldn't be true if it weren't for guys on this board buying a few parts here and there as well as Craigslist of course. Its funny too, the ones I figure on parting before I see them usually end up saved and vice versa. People just exaggerate good or bad so much.